SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wanda_va

Marlen's Favorite Holiday

wanda_va
15 years ago

Happy 4th of July to all my forum friends. Those who have been around for a number of years will remember our dear friend, Marlen, who undoubtedly is leading the heavenly choir in singing our National Anthem today--her favorite holiday.

Take a stroll down Memory Lane with Marlen's 2003 post:

A Fourth of July Greeting from Your Resident Cuban

Posted by Marlen (My Page) on Fri, Jul 4, 03 at 1:44

Today we Americans celebrate my favorite holiday. Both DH and I are naturalized American citizens so this day is very special to us. He emigrated here from Germany and I from Cuba. On 11/11/61, when I was the age of 11, the people of this great country opened their arms and hearts and took me in. I didnÂt ask for a handout and never got one, but I was taught that through hard, honest work I, too, could achieve the American Dream. And I learned, and I worked and I have.

I wave Old Glory and hum God Bless America every day. So July 4th is the only day of the year I can actually appear normal.

IÂll be heading later to my familyÂs annual July 4th celebration, wearing a brand new red, white and blue outfit and wearing the lovely pin of the U.S. with which FlamingO gifted me, and which I wear almost every day. Even the dogs will be wearing new patriotic bandannas.

And we will sing the National Anthem and recite the Pledge of Allegiance, in various accents but meaning every word.

And we will pray for those members of our family who are serving our beloved country in the military, and all the brave men and women who serve alongside them. Because we came here seeking freedom, and we know only too well that freedom isnÂt free. Special hugs and a big kiss to rabbitÂs son, Jerm. who is a proud Marine. Semper fi, my dear!

And we will hold a minute of silence to pray for all the heroes and heroines who paid the ultimate sacrifice to preserve that freedom.

And I am going to hug every veteran I run into, especially my own husband. To all the veterans and their families here at the KT, special hugs to you all. Know I will forever be grateful to you and in your debt.

And I am going to overeat, have fun, bask in patriotism and be surrounded by the love of family and friends.

And while I respect the patriotism of all my friends in foreign countries, I know only too well that American citizenship is sought after by many millions all over the world. And I am very lucky to have it and I can't help but be proud of it.

I was granted that privilege on 11/71, almost 10 years to the date of my arrival, and I am very grateful for it. I have tried to live every day since so that nobody ever regrets having bestowed such an honor upon me.

So thank you, my fellow Americans, for letting me in.

I wish you all the best Fourth of July ever!

God Bless America.

And may God also bless you, my dear fellow Americans.

Comments (15)