SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

How do you put your garbage out?

Jasdip
11 years ago

We use the plastic grocery-type bags in the kitchen. When it's full we take it out and put in our metal can, that's also lined with a black garbage bag. So it's plastic bags inside of a plastic bag.

I see other people who put their garbage loose in a big bag. I can't imagine putting garbage loose in the kitchen pail then dumping it in the larger bag.

OTOH, we could just put our small bags in the metal can, but hubby doesn't want to wash the can out weekly, as the small bags invariably have holes in. We have no outside hose.

How do you put your garbage out to the curb?

Comments (34)

• fran1523
    11 years ago

I use plastic grocery bags also and they go into an orange bag that we have to buy from the town for $1.50 apiece. I usually manage to get two weeks of trash into one bag. We also have a large bin on wheels for single stream recycling of cans, bottles, paper, junk mail, cardboard, etc.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    11 years ago

Small waste baskets I use the grocery bags, the kitchen one gets a big trash bag. Sometimes the grocery bags are put in with the kitchen bag. I hook up the trailer to my golf cart and load up all the bags that are in plastic trash cans and I haul them out to the road and unload them. This is a job I will do sometime today for tomorrow's pick up which is early morning out here in the country.

Sue

• Related Discussions

How many seeds do you put in your containers?

Q

Comments (6)
    I used to be pretty anal about the amount of seeds I sowed. Now I'm only a little anal, lol. I used to sow 12 seeds per gallon milk jug (occasionally 9 or 16, but never varying much.) I have several reasons for this. The first one is that I am really bad at identifying seedlings, be they flowers or weeds. So I am careful to sow in pretty straight lines - for instance, three rows of four - so I have an idea of whether it's a weed or flower from where in the jug the seedling is. The second reason is that I am a procrastinator and I never get things planted out in a timely manner. By sowing thinly, there is more room in the jug for the plants to live for a while longer. Thirdly, I hate to thin. I can't bear the thought of wasting a single seedling. If I sow thinly to begin with, I won't have to thin later. Now, I have started to sow more heavily, because I am planting more annuals in my cutting garden, and it's easier to sow, for example, one jug with 24 seeds than two jugs with 12 each. So I am sowing more heavily, (about 20 to 24, maybe even 30 (by gosh!) seedlings to a gallon) but still in those straight lines, lol. I just haved to stay after myself to get things planted out earlier. If the seeds are really tiny, I just say the heck with it, sprinkle over the container, and deal with it later, usually by using the HOS method. :) Dee
    ...See More

Do you use your garbage disposals?

Q

Comments (33)
    I have the Kitchenaid 1 hp batch feed disposal. I put almost everything down it. I use it constantly, and am particularly grateful for it in the summer when otherwise my garbage would smell really bad. I am surprised that people are saying they don't put banana peels down their disposers. I do, including that hard thing on the end of the banana peel. I've never had a problem (I have a 1960's house with 1960's plumbing). Also, in my house growing up, we had a Kitchenaid batch feed disposal. That thing lasted about 17 years or so, until my parents remodeled and replaced it with a new KA batch feed, and there was never one clog or one problem. About once a month I grind up a bunch of ice cubes in the disposer which is supposed to clean off any gunk on the grinders.
    ...See More

When do you put out your spring decor?

Q

Comments (22)
    Wow, do you move those outside? The deer would eat them in 1 night here. We got a foot of snow yesterday, so who knows when the daffodils will start coming up. I can't wait to get my "new" old porch furniture out. I really don't do anything else for spring decorating. I have 3 cute little snowmen on my kitchen window sill - whenever the snow melts I guess I'll replace them with (wooden) flowers. I have a brown thumb when it comes to houseplants - just killed an azalea I've had since b4 Xmas - though I swear I watered it when everyone was sick, all of a sudden it just shriveled up!
    ...See More

How do you put in your hems?

Q

Comments (3)
    Guess I still hem them the old fashion way. I am only five feet tall, so even the petites need hemming . I always sew the lace hem tape, and use a blind stitch to hem. Jeans, now that's a different story. I try to rehem exactly as they were hemed. Uuually with the stitching done with a different color. Also do one other trick, suits me, but some folks will not use the technique. If the jeans need two inches off, I make a tuck right at the stitching line of one inch, and that takes off the two inches, and after i do this, and press it really well, i can't see the difference. But a tailor would never accept this type of hem.
    ...See More
  • phyllis__mn
    11 years ago

I also do as you, with the grocery bags in the house, then they go out to the large bag in the can. They used to pick up recycling once a month, but we now have the huge bins only about two blocks away so that is handy.

• wildchild
    11 years ago

We put it in the plastic grocery bags also. They fit the wire rack mounted on the door inside my sink cabinet perfectly. Then we tie them off and put into the plastic outdoor can the city provides. I don't have a lot of wet garbage because we have a sink disposal. If I have something like chop bones that would jam the disposal I just put them in the freezer in a plastic bag until the night before pick-up.

We have a large city provided wheeled can for mixed recyclables, paper,glass,metal and plastics don't have to be sorted. We take out food tins right after we use them. I keep a paper bags in a kitchen cart on wheels I have that has a tilt out waste basket. That goes out on garbage night.

Yard waste goes into a pile at curbside. They also provide bottles and bags for oil changes.

I live where plastic grocery bags are banned. So I drive to shop outside the area.

• jannie
    11 years ago

I use the grocery bags inside to line all my waste receptacles. I have one waste basket in every room, that way I can always dispose of junk mail, kleenex, whatever, in any room. I don't have to walk to another part of the house. I buy large black trash bags (Hefty) and fill them with the grocery bags. Then place the black bags in my can, then take the can to the street for my twice a week pickup. I also recycle paper,cardboard, glass,plastic , metal as required by my town. I also compost anything organic-coffee grounds, vegetable peels, egg shells, etc. So my garbage is as small as possible.

• azzalea
    11 years ago

Depends.

We do line our kitchen trash can with those (purchased) white kitchen bags. So... some garbage goes down the disposal (egg shells, small amounts of vegetable parings etc). If I'm doing something I know will generate a lot of garbage, I line a bowl with a plastic bag--either a grocery or produce bag--and put it in there, tie shut and put out in the trash bag out back. If I have a little something I don't want to put down the disposal, but it's not enough to put into a grocery bag, I do sometimes drop it into the kitchen can--but as that's lined, AND DH empties it about twice a day, that's not a problem.

Does anyone remember when trash and garbage went out separately? Trash went into a big trash can (they were galvanized and inevitably dented in those days), and garbage went into another smaller can? They were collected on different days--with the 'garbage men' generally being local pig farmers that were collecting the stuff to feed their pigs. Talk about a stench--when the garbage truck when by you could smell it LONG after it had left the block!

• goldy
    11 years ago

Plastic shopping bags and down the shoat.Oh how nice to live in an apartment.

• wildchild
    11 years ago

I don't remember the separate cans but I was surprised the OP mentioned a metal can. Haven't seen one in decades. I don't even think you could buy one here. As kids we used to use the lids as shields for our various fights with swords,arrows or whatever. LOL

The garbage men would come into the back yard for the cans, haul them on their backs to the truck and put them back in the yard. Now they don't even have to leave the truck. We roll them to the curb and the truck mechanically picks them up and empties them. Then throws drops them in the general vicinity of the curb hopefully right side up. LOL

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We used to live in a high-rise, too Goldy, where the chute went down to the garbage room. We always were told to double-bag the litter as they would break on the way down. The garbage room was not always nice-smelling!

I've also heard from the super that some people take the litter box and empty it down the chute.

WildChild, there are 3 metal garbage cans, one for each apartment. As I was typing the original question, it crossed my mind, metal. Don't see those much anymore!

We just take the bag out of the can and take the bag to the curb.

• kathyg_in_mi
    11 years ago

We used to keep our bird seed in a large plastic garbage can, then one day there was a hole chewed into the top and lo and behold a chipmunk who couldn't get out inside the can! After that we bought a metal garbage can for the seed. Then, the bears (we think) started to empty our feeders, so we had to stop putting out the seed.
    You can find metal garbage cans in several sizes in a hardware store!

• emma
    11 years ago

I don't put any garbage (food stuff) in the trash unless it is frozen and removed from the freezer the day before or day of the pick up. I use my disposal. Years ago when I didn't have a garbage disposal I would have had to and don't remember how I did it. I don't remember there being plastic bags then.

• jewels_ks
    11 years ago

I use tall white trash bags in my kitchen and before trash day I dump all the other trash in the kitchen one and try to save those small trash bags. I hate it when people don't bag their trash since we live in windy Kansas. I've had to pick up our neighbor's trash and even called them once telling them that their trash was blowing all over the neighborhood. Our trash has diminished so much since we started recycling everything and I really wish we could have trash pick-up every other week.

• jennmonkey
    11 years ago

I use tall white trash bags in my kitchen too, preferably draw string. I line my small bathroom and laundry room cans with grocery store bags. That will change, however, since Seattle has now banned plastic bags at stores. I can just buy small ones.

Since our garbage bags are a little larger than my kitchen can, when I pull out the kitchen garbage, I go around and collect all the other garbage in the house to add to the kitchen one, and then place it in our big bin provided by the city. I don't line that one, it would just be a waste of a bag.

I don't line our recycle bin, or put it in bags. I have a small blue recyle bin in the house that isn't lined, and I just dump it directly into the outside bin. Our recycling is always rinsed anyway, but I'll wipe out the blue bin every week or two, just in case anything dripped.

• linda_in_iowa
    11 years ago

I can't imagine freezing trash until garbage day. I put mine in those plastic grocery bags and tie it. Kitty litter I put in big black plastic bags. On garbage morning the trash men come up to my back porch and wheel my can to the curb to empty it. They then leave it at the curb.
    Two men ride on the back of the trash truck and hang on to a bar. The truck stops in front of each house and they hop off and empty the trash tans into the truck. Very different from California and the automated trucks there. Our garbage is burned to produce electricity for the city. We aren't supposed to put any glass in the trash because that messes up the burners. We have glass recycling containers at some grocery stores. Also, no yard clippings are allowed in the trash.

• chisue
    11 years ago

I decided not to install a disposal when we built this house. (The sink is 'ready' for one if another owner wants it.) I haven't missed it at all. I have an under-counter pull-out on one side of my main sink with two plactic bins, one for garbage and one for recycling. Each has a plastic bag liner.

The garbage bags go out to a wheeled plastic can in the garage. The recycling goes out to the gi-normous wheeled bin. Our city has at-the-door garbage pickup twice a week and curbside recycling once a week. We put our little garbage can at the curb once a week and the recycling bin goes out every other week. We do this just before the 7 a.m. Friday pickup. Putting garbage out the night before pickup is an invitation to the racoons.

I think our city is wasting tax money by continuing an outdated sanitation schedule. There are few residences here generating enough garbage for twice-weekly pickup -- and few that need at-the-door pickup. The use of plastic bags contains odors. The city could offer a second pickup per week if the resident pays for it.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Most food waste goes down the disposal. If I have food waste that cannot go down the disposal, like bones or eggshells, I freeze it until trash day. I have a tall kitchen waste can lined with a purchased drawstring plastic bag. All of the bathrooms have small individual plastic trash cans under the sink. I empty those into the big kitchen can once a week when I pull the bag out to put it in the big plastic roller bin that goes to the curb.

I also have a tall kitchen recycle can that's lined with a plastic bag, but I empty that bag into the plastic roller recycle bin and put the bag back into the kitchen can. I also have a purchased drawstring plastic bag in the shredder. Every couple of months that goes out into the recycle bin. Our trash company requires that shredded material be inside a plastic bag. All the green waste from the garden goes into a separate set of roller bins.

I rarely have any plastic grocery bags because I take reusable plasticized fabric bags to the market with me.

• marie_ndcal
    11 years ago

This state does very little recycling so everything goes into the dumpster we bought. We share it with my daughter's family. Most garbage goes down into the disposal. About twice a year Minot does some sort of token recycling stuff, but it is too far to go. It is much more serious since the oil drilling has started and we have so many more people.
    I have spoken to some of the politicians but they don't seem to care.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"Since our garbage bags are a little larger than my kitchen can, when I pull out the kitchen garbage, I go around and collect all the other garbage in the house to add to the kitchen one, and then place it in our big bin provided by the city. I don't line that one, it would just be a waste of a bag. "

I do the same thing!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

We have 2 of the tall kitchen trash cans that close, you wave something over the top and they open so hands free, they are lined with a tall size trash liner. Some items we bag before we put them into those cans. I also have small size cans in various rooms in the house and baths,all with liners some use the grocery bags. Those are all gathered up tied shut and taken outside to the big trash bin that is wheeled, the kitchen bags are tied and put in it also there is no liner in those big bins so they do on occasion need to be hosed out and bleached. We have a sticker we get every quarter to put on one of our bins if we do not have the current sticker on one of them they will not pick up the trash. They pass 2 times a week and on the Thursday pick up you can put pretty much anything out there and they will pick it up.
    We are not on a city system our subdivision has our own services that we each pay for, those that do not pay do not get trash pick up which is the reason for the stickers. We have actual garbage men nothing automated.

• mary3444
    11 years ago

We have the tall kitchen trash can. For that I use the plastic bags that tie on top. We live in such a small rural area there is NO garbage pick-up. The town has placed about 3 different area's that have bins so you have to drive to them & drop off your garbage. They do not recycle here at all so everything can go in one bag.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

My kitchen trash can is lined with a plastic bag. I scrape some garbage in there and put some down the garbage disposal.

I dump all the baskets around the house into the kitchen trash, tie the top, out it in a trash can and take it to the curb! I rarely have more than one bag. I recycle all paper, plastic, glass, etc. That's it!

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

I refuse to pay money for something that gets tossed out. That said... I also don't put loose trash in the large garbage container the city supplies.

I use plastic bags. Most times, I get them from friends that don't use cloth bags (like I do).

My kitchen garbage can is small, but then it only serves me... and I dump it when it is full. I also keep empty oatmeal containers, and ice cream containers and such... and put stuff for the compost in them. Those go out when they are full, or start smelling... which ever comes first.

My recyclables go out (side yard) as they get empty. We have a blue bin, that everything goes in. It gets picked up weekly along with the big rolling garbage bin (two separate trucks).

Moni

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

3We use paper grocery bags. We collect kitchen garbage in one bag and paper good in the other. Plastic items coded from 1 through 5. glass and metal are put in a collection bin in the garage. (Our village participate in a recycling program with the trash hauler.)

On trash day, I put the kitchen garbage and other household trash in a large gvarbage bag. If the kitchen paper trash bag is not badly soiled, I may dump its contents in the large garbage bag and reuse the paper bag.

Newspapers are separated from other paper products. We collet newespapers in a pile and about every second week, we'll fill a paper bag with newspapers for disposal.

On trash pidkup day, we have at the curb:

A village supplied heavy plastic bin with cans, bottles, and coded plastics. On top of this bin lies a paper bag filled with paper and magazines. Then on top of that is the newspapers. Occassionaly, if the magazine stack is large or heavy, I bundle it separately with string. Next to the bin will be the large plastic garbage bag.

I have been buying the large Members Mark black plastic garabge bags at Sam's Club and have been very satisfied with these.

• patti43
    11 years ago

I don't have a lot of garbage either, since we have a disposal. We have a large plastic trash can that holds a 13 gallon plastic bag. When it gets full we take it to the compactor when we go get the mail. We also have a large trash can in the garage. We use 39 gallon bags in it. In the bathrooms, I line the little ones with plastic grocery bags.

We recycle what we can--especially newspapers, but they don't make it easy for us. No curb service--we have to take it and put it in separate containers.
    In our old house, I had the two-bin cabinet like Chisue. Boy, I miss that!

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moni, I keep one of those plastic containers that mesclin mix etc comes in, in the frig to hold my veggie scraps. When it's full I either freeze it or feed the lads.

• susanjf_gw
    11 years ago

tall white trash bags into "approved" plastic cans, unlined....we also have a green box for recycles which is supposed to be getting bigger...

this week is gonna be a mess! i refroze all the spoiled food in the chest freezer so we wouldn't get racoons, so that will be in white bags...i'm sure the garbage guys are expecting more cans than usual...

here black bags are usually used for building materials...garden waste in paper bags...

• cynic
    11 years ago

I use paper or plastic, depending on what it is, how much and what type. I generally put recycling into paper and foodstuffs into plastic. Then it goes into the proper cart. Up to three of the carts now which is a bit excessive. One for garbage, one for recycling and one for yard waste.

Never had separated garbage service in my lifetime nor have I ever heard anyone talk about it in this area. We used to burn the burnables growing up so paper, cardboard, phone books, etc, went up in smoke. That was one of my unpaid jobs growing up was burning the stuff. Some people even burned their garbage/trash like food scraps, etc, but we never did. We burned the cleaner burning stuff only.

Now, you have to get the carts to the curb. Used to be they'd pick up the cans at the house. Then some started with a little rig going up and down the driveways, dump the cans in there and then dump that into the big truck. Then they started asking if you'd bring them to the curb. Then they started giving a discount if you brought it to the curb. Now if it's not at the curb, it's not emptied. At one time there was some consideration for handicapped people (they'd pick it up at the house) but I don't know if that is available anywhere nearby anymore.

Only a few of the very old apartments around here had the garbage chutes. I was always interested in it at my aunt's place. Just toss the stuff down the chute. No burning or carrying out to a can. Most apartments around here have dumpsters in the parking lots. It's common for people to dump off their old mattresses, tires and stuff at the apartments too. That is until they get caught.

• chisue
    11 years ago

I had almost forgotten burning paper trash, Cynic. We had a tall wire 'basket' at the back of our lot (suburban Chicago). I think that practice was banned about the same time leaf burning was banned.

I am always amazed by the amount of recycling on our streets. Some houses where I *know* there are only two or three people have *two* huge bins out every week! Guess DH and I aren't very good 'consumers'. (Or don't drink enough beer. LOL)

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

I'm having a battle with coons (I suspect) knocking over my big plastic garbage can that gets put out at the edge of the road for pickup. On two consecutive trash days (Thursdays) I would find a few pieces of trash laying on the ground around the can after it had been emptied. I knew something was up, so this morning I got up at 6am to let the cats out and peeked out the window at my trash can - yep, it was laying on its side.

I threw some clothes over my night gown and went out to see for myself, sure enough the lid was off and a bag had been ripped open and there was a trail of misc. garbage leading into the hedge. The other bag still inside the can had huge claw marks. So I get some gloves and hurry to the barn for a big black yard waste plastic bag and gather up all the crap and stuff both sacks into it. An hour later, the trash truck came. The guy must have been cleaning up my mess, bet he didn't like that one bit and I was probably due for a warning.

I used to use metal cans, but there was always the problem of the bottoms rusting out eventually. The lids stayed on better tho.

• cynic
    11 years ago

Chisue, funny you mentioned the basket. Many people had burning barrels. 55 gallon drums were popular. Many had garbage cans that were punched full of holes. We were the only one I know of who had the wire basket. Gave great ventilation and things burned well.

• jude31
    11 years ago

Metal rack on kitchen cabinet door uses plastic grocery bags, but I compost and recycle so there are very little food scraps that go there. Plastic grocery bags in all the waste baskets in bedrooms and bathrooms. All of them go in a large wheeled plastic garbage can, just outside the door, at the driveway. The city furnishes a BIG heavy, wheeled plastic container for the recyclables and once a week,they pick up both of them, on different days, at the door so to speak ,for seniors or handicapped. Since we are VERY senior we qualify!LOL

jude

• emma
    11 years ago

WOW! I didn't know trash and garbage disposal could be so high maintenance or intense. The OP said "garbage", so I focused on food stuff. The stuff I freeze is not "trash" it is food stuff.

Egg shells, coffee grounds and bones, can go in the disposal, helps clean it out, plumber in the family. Corn cobs can even go in if you break them up according to the book that came with mine years ago, but I don't do that. I don't put chicken leg bones in it because I have to fish out the gristle, nor do I put chicken skin down it. I put 99% of all food stuff in it. If I get a watermelon that is very hard to cut I put the rind in the trash.

I don't line my pretty bathroom trash containers with ugly old plastic bags.

Our trash carts have to be in the garage. I put mine by the steps going into the house so when I carry trash out I open door to the garage and drop the bag in the cart.

I won't even get into what a professional recycler told me.

• jude31
    11 years ago

Wildchild does the wire rack on your cabinet door allow the door to fully close? Mine doesn't, keeps it open just a crack but one I had previously did. If yours does, how long have you had it and do you remember where you got it?

jude

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

I use the tall kitchen bags for my kitchen and then do as others do by filling it with stuff from the bathroom. If its not too stinky, then I put it in our large trash can in the garage until pick up day. If its stinky then it goes directly to the HUGE trash bin that the city makes us use that is put out by the street once a week to be picked up by an automatic truck that lifts the bin and dumps it.

So we do have an extra step in that I have to put any bags that are in the garage into the big bin on Fridays. Actually it has to go out Thursday night since it can be picked up as early as 6 am. Not real happy that we don't have twice a week pick up anymore - here in FL, garbage can get pretty stinky over a week, esp. when you hve dirty diapers! Glad my GS is out of them. City does give us recycling bins that are also picked up once a week.