SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckygardnr

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, July 15, 2011

luckygardnr
12 years ago

I bought some garlic scapes a couple of weeks ago, at the farmers market. I wasn't sure what to do with them, but the flavor is such a lovely, mild garlic flavor. I started chopping them into salads, chicken, potato, pasta, etc. This recipe is from Life's Ambrosia, a blog that I check out every now and then, and thought this sounds like a great way to use them.

Garlic Scape Pesto

Life's Ambrosia

Garlic Scape Pesto

I love finding ingredients that I am not familiar with. When I was at the farmer's market last weekend I came across a stand that was selling these curly things I had never seen before. I stopped to ask the farmer what they were and how to use them. He explained that they were garlic tops, or scapes and he'd seen them most often used in stir fry or simply sauteed. I bought a bunch and headed home. I wanted to do something a little bit more interesting then adding them to a stir fry so I took to twitter to ask what people used them for. Someone suggested that I use them to make a pesto and I thought what a great idea! Now, I will say that it is a little different then regular pesto. It's a bit chunkier but the flavor is amazing. I enjoyed this served over pasta and stirred into cream cheese as a cracker topping. Give it a try.

Makes about 1 cup

You will need:

2 cups chopped garlic scapes

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 teaspoon kosher salt

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1/2 cup olive oil

In a food processor combine the garlic scapes, cheese, kosher salt and lemon juice. Turn the food processor on.

With the food processor on, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Process one minute. Serve.

Store in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap. Use within a couple of days.

Comments (3)