SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynic_gw

So many bad kids... Nice to find a good one!

cynic
13 years ago

I am really annoyed with the way so many kids are raised these days. Too many aren't required to do anything, are given everything, are spoiled rotten, or babied and put on drugs to make the parents feel better. It's so nice to see some good ones!

I was at the grocery store the other day and a young lad was working the checkout. He was so friendly, so conscientious, unusually careful. The belt was full of groceries and stuff, but he didn't do the usual - just start the belt moving and crush the bread and eggs at the end. He reached over and would put things in open spots. He talked and was sincere about being concerned. Commented on a saying on a can cooler I bought. This kid impressed me! Now that's not to say that someone shy and quiet is bad - far from it. But seldom does someone show a work ethic like this. It's SO nice to see! The receipt had a survey website. You bet I filled out the survey and gave credit to this young man. His work ethic is rare.

But that's not all. I had a knock at the door a few weeks back and a young man was there and asked if he could mow my lawn for $15. I thought I can do it myself, but there were other issues, health, physical, weather, etc., and I thought I'd like to help out a guy who really wants to WORK to make some money rather than sell drugs or live off parents and the like. So, sure, go ahead. I thought about it as he and his brother were mowing and the quote I got from the neighbor's lawn service was about $25 2-3 years ago. I couldn't give him just $15! I'm not that way. Well, he finished the front yard and came to the door. I asked if he did the back, "oh you want me to do that too?" LOL Yes, I would, how much? $10? OK. Well if he knew the area, and assumably he did, he'd know the back yard is bigger. Well they did it, did a good job, picked up sticks and even raked areas. They bagged the grass clippings and hauled it away with them! No, $25 isn't enough. These kids are HARD WORKERS and take pride in their work. Plus they wanted me to come out and look at it and approve it before being paid! When does THAT happen?

Needless to say this fella is working for me now. I don't have him mow every week but today he stopped by and I had him trim trees and bushes for me. What can I say? This kid takes pride in his work. Granted, after a few times now where I've given him quite a bit more than he asked, he takes care of me, and I try to take care of him.

Today I mowed and had him trim trees and stuff. He seemed to really want the work. Not sure if there's financial issues or what. But he worked for a couple hours. I was quoted by a couple people (older than he) $8/hr cash. I thought he worked hard so I paid him $10/hr (cash). To me, that's pretty good pay for an 18 year old. Figure taxes, SS, etc, that's not bad at all. When he finished tonight I was tempted to kid with him a bit, but he just seemed like it wouldn't work so I paid him and he looked at it and gave me a hug! I was shocked. I don't know if he has financial issues or what but it's so unusual to see someone who really takes such pride in their work. Again, totally unusual work ethic.

So, you found anyone who does more than they have to do?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm