SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthieg__tx

Class B or Class C RV's

ruthieg__tx
12 years ago

We have been thinking of buying a motor home and doing some traveling...we have always said that we wouldn't do the RV thing but talking about it, we keep thinking maybe we might have fun doing it. ...We wouldn't want some huge thing that gets 3 miles per gallon. Frankly I don't want to be on the highway in one of the big humongous RV's but we are thinking of a Class C ...I was wondering if anyone has here has traveled in one of the smaller RV's. Here is a link to one that we liked...I think this is the Class C? Does anyone here have one?

Here is a link that might be useful: RV

Comments (11)

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Now is not the time to buy, but do start looking around. Don't just look in the paper, but visit RV camper sales. You will always get poor gasoline mileage with any RV. Also you will have to pull something, because you will now want to set up everything, then try to go someplace--that is either take a car or take down everything and drive your MH.
    There are plenty of used ones available, just be careful.
    Even campgrounds have them for sale. What type of traveling do you plan? You can rent some also. Also be careful they don't try to sell you membership program along with the RV. Tami of OH has been doing alot of traveling. We have traveled for many many years starting with a camper and going to a 5th wheel, which is easier to drive in the wind and on hills with a truck. That is another alternative is the 5th wheel. The main thing is sleeping and storage.

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Why don't you rent one for a week or two and try it out? My neighbors did that last year and it helped them figure out which size RV they wanted.

• Related Discussions

In love w/ Touch of Class!

Q

Comments (5)
    Queenbee, as Jeri says, in some climates the leaves can be very prone to getting powdery mildew so you'll want to watch them for that. Fungicides can be used as protection. I have two which are planted in sunny spots with very good air circulation. I hope you have a good location for yours and that they do well for you -- the blooms are so pretty.
    ...See More

Hand Applique Class: Resources to Check Out

Q

Comments (2)
    I love love love homespun fabrics! A swap would definitely be fun. I have heard to use a 1/2 inch seam to help with fraying...
    ...See More

Scrap Quilt Class - Notes 1

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks Teresa. I was not really fond of scrappy but I have seen absolutely gorgeous scrappy quilt pics posted her so I have changed my mind!!!!! I'm taking notes too!!!! Rosa
    ...See More

class ring? Highschool

Q

Comments (52)
    i have mine and while i don't wear it, i will not get rid of it. my friends and i were very proud to wear it and it was not your typical ring. it was in very different setting and when we wore it, everyone knew what school you went to. we received ours the begining of Senior year and you wore it with the insignia pointed to you, when you officially graduated, you turned the insignia out to represent 'you are now going out in the real world'. that really meant something to me and we had a special assembly just to receive your ring. My H.S. really made it memorable the day you received your ring. so in my jewelry box it stays, till my kids sell it.. i think it 14k gold :)
    ...See More
  • tami_ohio
    12 years ago

Ruthie, whether you go with a class C, which is what you linked too, or a Class A, like we have, which you may not want, don't go with anything smaller than a 26' unit. Don't go with a class B. Think toy truck with sleeping room and nothing else. That's a class B. Class C is a full size truck body with the camper attached. The reason I said not to go smaller than a 25' is that anything smaller will only come with a corner bed. You will NOT be able to get in or out without climbing over each other, and it's a royal PITA to make up.

Another thing to pay attention to is the bathroom. Can you "sit" comfortably to do your business? Can you get in and out of the shower easily? Try it all out. (Sit on the closed lid if you want!) The smaller the unit the smaller the bathroom.

How about storage? What pots and pans would you want to take, is there room? What about room for staples?

My parents have a class C. It handles just like a full size pick up truck. You just have to remember that there is something over your head that can and will catch tree limbs! But you have to watch that with anything. Clearance is an issue no matter what type of rig you buy.

What kind of vehicles do you already own? If you have a pickup truck with a tow package on it, you might prefer a tow behind trailer. That's what we started with, after the tents. Again, nothing smaller than a 26' because of the bed. If you go with the trailer, you won't have to un-hook the water and electric, ect., every time you want to go somewhere.

Ask all the ? you want. I'll answer any I can. Marie is right. DON'T let them talk you into a membership for a campground. They are very hard to get rid of, and are expensive. The best "membership" we have found is passport america, which is a half price membership for campground memebers. Most places that accept it only accept cash. They also usually have a time limit, two or three days, no weekends, no holidays, restrictions like that. We have saved a LOT of money with this one. In fact, it pays for itself the first week out.

Where do you want to go? What do you want to see? Are you going mainly to small towns? Parking can be an issue if you don't have a car with you.

If you look for a used unit, be sure you check the ceiling for past leaks. Look around windows for water damage also. Especially in the over cab area, and around the TV antenna crank.

Ask. I can't think of anything else right now. I can email you a list of what I prefer to take with us, but you can modify it with what you would use. I tend to have more than I need!

Tami

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Tami reminded me of something. Good Sam magazines (available at library) does have check list what to look for and they are very good. They also have book/booklets available to tips on how to buy RV;s. Look at thrift shops, garage sales, ask your friends if they have any books they want to get rid of. Like Tami said, please ask questions. Also look for DVD's and movies on how to buy and take care of RV's.

• susanjf_gw
    12 years ago

we rented and ended up with slightly smaller than expected...(sort of like the bottom one) i didn't like it at all! didn't have a place to hide the cat box, and the sleeping was less than perfect...dh ended up in the over cab, i in the back...and the bathroom... omg...it was aweful for a plus-sized woman like myself...

i do suggest renting..lot cheaper than spending $ and finding out you bought the wrong size...or didn't like the experience...

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Ruthie, I agree with the rental idea, it will give you an opportunity to try it before you buy it and get a really nice idea of what you want. One of our local dealers even offers travel trailer rentals already set up at a local campground sp that you can 'test-ride' them.

We were looking to buy this year but decided to put it off for a year while we spend the money instead to do some needed maintenance on the house. So some new windows, a new patio door, the interior is being painted....I really hate being a grown up, would have much rather had fun!

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are going to rent one first and we have already decided that we need a good refrigerator and a good bathroom...(among other things) I never have been crazy about doing the RV thing and I would never get out on the road in one of the big big rigs.......just not something I want to do...We are just in the talking stages now but thinking seriously about it. I have always been a give me a good hotel room kind of person not an RV........

• nanny98
    12 years ago

We have done it all and have a 'big rig' now, but our plan was to spend months in it in the southern tier of the US...still is. We started with a tent trailer, moved up to a travel trailer, cab-over MH, now our 2nd big rig and we are toying with future downsizing now that we really don't have grands traveling with us. Ten years of showing the US to them has been worth every minute. Having them by ourselves, sort of on our own terms and movable territory was a huge plus.Boys are in early 20's now and our memories are the greatest. DH and I are still 'making memories' and hope to check in with our boys that are now serving in the military wherever they are....and there are still places we have not seen and people we have not yet met. But....the old calendar on the wall is continuing to make haste and we realize that we do have to slow down.

Big-rigs (over 35') ARE pretty intimidating, but when you are driving one (under 35')...not in commuter traffic, or rushing stop lights as the folks around you, it rarely gets terrifying (well, except for Seattle), and a little courtesy IS welcomed as well as given.

Do rent first if you can and join a group outing. Most 'brands' or dealers of MH's can connect you with a group. Our group just had two couples join us for 2 days and we had a great time with them. Ordinary RV parks are sometimes filled with friendly folks (bring dirty laundry as the Laundry Room is the best place to talk to people and/or bring a friendly dog, swimming pool works too.It's Also a good place to pick up travel literature, old travel mags, and info of that nature...sometimes RV parks have a library to exchange books and magazines. Some web sites too. Good Sam is one...Trailer Life.

• joan_mn
    12 years ago

We have a 23' Gulfstream B Touring Cruiser. WE LOVE it. IT's not big enough to live in, but it is perfect for the two of us to travel in. We have a jack-knife couch on each side that folds down into a twin size bed. DH just leaves his as a couch all the time and puts a sleeping bag on it. Our bathroom size was very important to me. IN some, when you sit down, your knees touch the door. Not with ours. WE have a slide-out on the driver's side, which helps tremendously. We have a pantry next to the frig and a closet and two drawers by the bathroom.

We've even taken Emma and Eli over-night, and they slept on the floor between the couches in sleeping bags. They will be too big soon, though.

We don't tow a vehicle and we can park in a two-space length. It gets 10 mpg.
    We were parked next to some people in a RoadTrek (B size), they said it was ok unless the weather was bad. Then it's too tight.

WE've been to TX, Utah and FL in ours, and all over MN.

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Joan and all, We will be using ours for weekend trips and the occasional long distance trip (maybe and really maybe) The Coachman Class B seems to be one that we would consider. We want a smaller one for fuel economy and so we don't have to tow a car. With the class B, you can manage without a car on the kind of trips we will be taking. I do not want to be on the highway in a big one.......... The link below is the kind we are thinking about.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Coachman

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Ruthie, I love that camper and it looks great for what you want. I loved our coachman, tho it was a travel trailer, the company was great. I know Nita is a dear friend of yours, her insight will be a great help to you. Good Luck with whatever you decide, I envy you!