SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

It Started With a Sheep (I need a life)LOL

Cherryfizz
14 years ago

My newest online addiction.

Last week my 50 year old childhood Facebook friend Rick sent me a sheep and an invitation to visit his "Farm" Okay, I thought I would check it out because if you knew my friend Rick the thought of him playing online "farmer" was just too funny. He is more the Mafia Wars type guy LOL being Italian and all. I guess being laid off from Chrysler until the mess is sorted out has taken its toll and he is trying to find things to do. LOL

So, I accepted his sheep and over to Farm Town I went. First I had to pick out features for my avatar who I called Fizz. I chose blue hair, green eyes, eyebrows, mouth, nose and skin colour. Unfortunately there was nothing I could do about the Jay Leno chin. LOL All the Farmers on Farm Town have the Jay Leno chin.

I noticed I already had neighbours, Rick being one and my friend Wendy being the other so I went out and checked their farms. Hmmmm - they had pretty fruit trees with fruit hanging on them and potatoes growing in the fields. They also had animals - dogs, cats, cows, sheep, horses, pigs, chickens. I want a pig! They are so darn cute especially when they drop on their sides to fall asleep. LOL

I went back to my blank farm and proceeded to call it Cherryfizz Farm. Not too original is it? I noticed some tools at the bottom of the screen so I tried them out. The hoe is a plow that you make your fields with. At first I had the fields all over the place but soon got the hang of it and put them in tidy rows of squares - later I learned that you can take out the space between the squares of plowed land so you can abut them close to each other so they are joined.

Then I went to the store and with what coins they gave me and the coins I received from visiting other farms I bought some potato seeds to plant. You move your little avatar to each plowed plot with a bag of seeds that then are deposited on the ground. Potatoes are the best crop to start with because they only take 1 day to grow (20 hours) The little seedlings that I started in a few hours turned to green plants, then they flowered and soon their were potatoes on the ground just waiting to be harvested. There are other fruits and veggies you can buy as you earn points.

In the toolbar there is a scythe which is used to harvest your crops. You press on it then move your avatar over each crop and voila! your potatoes are harvested and put into storage.

Off to the market I went to sell my wares to get more money. Going to the market was a daunting task because there were all these other avatars there - with words coming out of their heads - "pick me", "hire me" "I need to feed my children" LOL I just about died laughing. There is a chat box at the bottom so you can talk and when you type the words in they come out in a bubble over your head. It is sooo funny. I sold my crops then went back to my farm.

I wasn't alone on my farm when I returned to it. Little people from the market followed me. LOLOL You can see their little avatars walking around your farm checking things out. It was just so funny. Sometimes they will talk to you or you can talk to them.

I then learned that you can make more money if you hire someone to harvest your crops. You go to the market and then click on an avatar and a message will come up saying that you want to hire them to work on your farm. They answer you and off they go harvesting your crops and putting them into storage. You don't have to pay anything to them. All your crops go into storage until you are ready to go to the market.

Once you reach certain levels more things become available for you to purchase with your coins to make a really nice farm.

So far I have grown potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, wheat, corn, sunflowers, coffee beans, rice, watermelons and apple, plum, pear, orange and cherry trees. I am hoping to get more cherry trees on my farm. LOL They are so pretty when the fruit is on them. Unless you really need the coins you don't want to harvest them because the fruit doesn't spoil like the crops do if you don't harvest them because the fruit really adds some nice colour to your farm.

One night the site made some changes and everyone's avatar had a new hair do. LOL I have a nice red hair colour because after all I am the owner of Cherryfizz Farm and the colour is red like cherries. Some of the farmers now have mohawks. LOL

What I also found out after reading the forums on Farm Town is that a lot of the people are the same age if not older than I am. Even real farmers and their wives play this game.

You should see some of the farms. People lay out their crops so that messages or symbols appear in them. Some people are really creative!

Oh yeah, I forgot they just released flowers to grow and they don't spoil. There are marigolds, lilies, hyacinth, roses, crown of thorns, zinnias, tulips, carnations. If you don't like where you place them you can move them around. I love the flowers but if they aren't sent to you as a gift you have to reach a certain level for various ones. That is why it is nice to have neighbours who are at a higher level than you so they can send you these things on their gift allotment every day.

Diane and Eva from the KT have beautiful farms.

I sent out some invites to a few of my friends and now they are addicted just like I am. Great for those of us who can't sleep at night. If you can't be online to play or go away for the weekend you just plant crops that take a longer time to grow. LOL They take just as long to spoil as they do to grow so you have some leeway.

You have to be on Facebook to join this site. Just go to Applications and look up Farm Town or if you are one of my friends on Facebook I can send you an invite if you want to join. I am having a lot of fun. There is even a bar that serves water only where you can go to chat and mingle with other farmers avatars but I don't normally go and tend to just work on my farm or talk to the people that just show up.

Now I have to get back to reality and leave my farm behind do some real yard work like mowing the front lawn and back 40. Not as fun as watching my virtual crops grow and I don't have grass to mow. LOL

All you wanna be farmers will like this game.

Anne

Comments (33)

• Vique_Pa
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It sounds as though you are having a blast. I envy you, you catch on so much faster than I do. I am still trying to figure out how to send someone a drink. Vique.

• caroline94535
    14 years ago

Oh sweetie, you lost me. My game speed is Bubble Shooter, LOL, or the elusive Train Game.

I think you have a wonderful life! Enjoy.

• Related Discussions

As if I need to start something new, lol, how do I start?

Q

Comments (3)
    ok, I'm in too! :) I've been reading alot about this topic for years when it's time to go out and buy those expensive looking planters. I just went to my local (high end) garden supply and found that a big bale of peat moss was around $15 and a small bag of vermiculite was around $6. I thought I'd just go to Walmart and check it out. The weather is looking good for this weekend (finally!) and I'm gonna go 'tufa'.
    ...See More

I need to start over, so how and when do I start?

Q

Comments (33)
    "BTW - history completely contradicts your belief in soil testing. Almost nobody gets soil tests now and they weren't even available to homeowners until recently. Like a lot of modern technology, it can be a useful tool. However, people got along just fine without them in the not to distant past." What does that even mean? History contradicts your belief in soil testing? How does history contradict a belief in soil testing? That sentence is an example of making up something that sounds intelligent but has no basis in fact. Soil testing is an extremely important part of all the crops growing in this country. If we had a better understanding of soil science earlier in the 20th century then the dust bowl probably wouldn't have happened, or at least it wouldn't have been so bad. Turfgrass, like any crop, has its ideal soil conditions. The closer you can get to the ideal, the healthier the grass. How would you know if you need lime? Let's say you need lime, which one would you use? What about a phosphorus deficiency. Most fertilizers have little P, so are you supposed to guess if you have deficiencies? Andy's plan is the right way to do it. Sure you can do a renovation by omitting steps, but if you want the best results you will do it the right way. Rushing it will usually result in doing it again next fall.
    ...See More

I need more suggestions, pretty please! Lol!

Q

Comments (16)
    I have never bought a hosta from the hosta library auction but i have bid - so i get all of the fun for free just no hostas to show for it I have bought a few from ebay but i feel safer buying from the hosta library as everyone knows most of the people selling on there like bob axe., jims hostas, naylor creek. stuart ash, etc stuart and bob have had some great streaked plants that i have bid on but they went for a lot more then i was willing to spend not that there aren't great people on ebay also like john but there are also ones you have to watch out for and i would rather not take chances hosta library usually offers more hard to find plants and a lot of streaked plants. I know there was a post that the auctions are from private sellers and not all of the money goes to thl but bob also sells plants there and has to get something for providing the site from each sale so i would rather support that then ebay as thl is a great asset
    ...See More

I need serious help - lol

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks gals :) Jeanne - that mirror belonged to my late husbands mother - I have no idea how old it is but I know it is at the very least 65 years old since it show up in early baby pictures - still in great shape and has the original mirror backing - it weighs a TON As for the bunny in the chair - I made them for years and sold them at a craft co-op - now that I have a grandaughter and two grandnieces living close by I need to get the pattern out again and make some more. Luvs - early 90's is about right as for next year I am taking pictures of everything and making notes in the description part of photobucket about changes I want to make ..... Lynne
    ...See More
  • karenmay_gw
    14 years ago

Cherryfizz you have me creased up with laughter! Keep enjoying your 'farm'!
    From one facebook farmer to another...lol!

Karen UK

• pattico_gw
    14 years ago

I wana play....but I recently canceled my facebook....

patti

• lilliepad
    14 years ago

Sounds like too much work for me!
    Have fun!

• sue_va
    14 years ago

Anne, I got dizzy just reading about your farming chores! Keep at it though, you might run across a farmer with a password HK.

Vique, I am at least as smart as the average bear, but I can not understand Facebook!. I send messages to my "friends" and get no response. I even send them emails telling I sent a FB message, and still no response. Think they are trying to tell me something? But they invited me~~

Patt1, I'm thinking I might be doing the same thing before long.

Sue

• zeetera
    14 years ago

That sounds like such fun! I don't want to join though because I may not want to leave.

• msmarion
    14 years ago

Sounds like you are having fun. I joined FB but I never went back! LOL Guess I'm gonna look at it again.

• gramzeeinmd
    14 years ago

Sounds like fun but maybe time consuming.
    I enjoy playing Bejeweld Blitz on FB.
    Have fun :-)
    Deb

• cjd63
    14 years ago

Can I be your friend on Facebook? I took a look for Farm Town as I would like to give it a go, but I can't seem to find it.....quizzes and such, but not the game/application itself.

Jane

• susan_on
    14 years ago

You sound like you're having a great time. I don't have time to play, but I find the concept of Farm Town greatly amuses me. I believe there's another applications where you make cities- I can't remember what it's called. I think it's great for people who do have the luxury to spend time on these things. That's the great thing about facebook. You can spend as much or as little time as you want on it, and you can use different applications if you want, and ignore them if you want. There's something for everyone.

• gingertn
    14 years ago

Jane, go up to the search box in the upper right corner and type in Farm Town, it will come up. I'm also a farmer, I LOVE the game and am addicted already. I'd love to be ya'lls neighbors, search for me and send me a friend request or make me a buddy, however we can do it! Ginger Pippin and my avatar is my son standing in front of a sunset over the ocean.

• donna37
    14 years ago

I'm on Farmtown but don't get too much done at a time. My grandkids love it and keep sending me oodles of gifts. My DD in on also and they have lovely farms with all the nice stuff. Mine is still kind of mediocre but I like it.

• cjd63
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone, I've found it. Can't play it now, have family arriving tomorrow for a wedding. I'll get to it in a few days. I'm cjd63 on there too, in the game at least.

• yayagal
    14 years ago

lol You have me laughing. My daughter and most of my relatives are doing farming via Facebook. Would you believe I got a message from my sister saying "Would you please water my crops at the farm while I'm away, I don't want to lose them. Off my little avatar went to her farm and it was ENORMOUS!!! I even bought her a tree for her coming home gift. lol.

• maryanntx
    14 years ago

I've been invited by two people to join farm town, but I haven't gone there yet. Sounds interesting.:o)

• frostedc
    14 years ago

I play Farm Town, on facebook, also.
    It got to be too time consuming, so now, I have a tree farm. No plowing, and planting. I just need to harvest fruit once in awhile.

• Cherryfizz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love it. I don't have the luxury of spending a lot of time on it during the day but when I can't sleep at night it gives me something to do. I am starting to plant crops that take longer to grow so I don't have to be there as much.

Patti I think you would love Farm Town. I thought you would like Facebook because there are some good games on the MindJolt application and I know you like playing games.

My niece joined today and called me up to ask me to come on the computer to her farm so I could show her what to do. On the forum there is a lot of information for someone who is just beginning.

I am new to computers so all this stuff amazes me. With webtv I couldn't do anything like this.

It's entertainment that I don't have to spend money on to enjoy.

My grass got cut, visited with family and now I just came on line. Farm Town will be there when I wake up in the middle of the night. Kind of neat because then I get to meet people from other parts of the world even if it is just to say thank you.

I just think it is a hoot especially when someone talks to you and your words come out in a bubble on top of your head like comics. Always makes me laugh. I laugh the most when I go to the market to hire workers.

Spending time on the computer playing games or visiting forums is just like everything else. Real life always comes first.

Anne

• babs77
    14 years ago

I am another confirmed Farm Town addict. All my "neighbors" and I joke about how addicting this game can be. It is a very fun game and you can choose how much time you spend on it based on what types of crops you plant.

I was so excited when they started selling flowers this past weekend. LOL!!! I just reached level 30 so now I can buy the gazebo for my farm town yard!

Gotta go. Time to check on my crops! =)

• pattico_gw
    14 years ago

If you get busy and don't show up for a few days...do all your crops and animals die????

patti

• Cherryfizz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Animals don't die but your crops may shrivel up. If you know you have plans you just don't plant crops. Some crops are 3 day crops - then it would be another couple of days before they shrivel up. I don't do big scale plantings like some people do. I plant in small plots and vary the types of crops - 1, 2 and 3 days. I was busy on the weekend so I planted 3 days crops. Nothing has to be done with the animals. They can wander or be fenced in. The perimeter of your land acts like a fence.

Anne

• Pooh Bear
    14 years ago

I searched for Farm Town and came up with at least 3 pages
    of apps named Farm Town. Which one do I want to join.

Sounds like a really fun game. Can you raise cows instead of vegetables?

Pooh Bear

• susan_on
    14 years ago

It sounds like a great stress reliever. I'm glad you're having so much fun with it.

• babs77
    14 years ago

Pooh Bear, if you just do a search in the upper right search window I think all you find are groups dedicated to discussing Farm Town.
    You should be able to search for the application/game itself from the FB application page -- in the lower left corner of your FB screen, click on Applications, Browse More Applications, then Games in the list on the left.

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

LOL, this really does sound fun. Some bulldog forum friends were talking about it a couple months ago when there were some problems on the Farmtown site and it was so fun hearing about all their crops and such.

I tried to join last night to check it out but they didn't like my name. LMAO... guess they're prejudiced against Coconuts. Kidding somewhat, I think it's actually my last name they had the problem with. It has a capital letter in the middle of it and that seems incorrect to most people. I had to email them and tell them it was my real name. Haven't heard back yet. Smiles. I've always wanted to be a farmer. I even loved it in High School when all the base kids called all of us farmers who weren't base kids. Even those of us in the tiny towns. LOL.. It made me mad because I really wanted to live on a farm. Still do for that matter. I'm gonna be 61 in August. Do ya think it's too late? Maybe Farmtown will help, if they let me on FB.

• pattico_gw
    14 years ago

Anne....I can't find where to look for you...help me, help me....

• sooey
    14 years ago

Yes, Anne, it all started with a Sheep. For me it started with a pear tree. Diane & Eva are my Farmtown friends also. Are you in the KT Group? I'll look for you.

Oh, look at the time! I must go harvest my grapes...

sooey
    Farmer Sue

• Cherryfizz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Patti, did you try to find me on Facebook? I sent you an email last night with my email address and name so you could search Facebook for me and send me a friend request. Do you belong to the Kitchen Table group on Facebook-you will find me there too. Just send me a Facebook friend request and I will add you as a neighbour on Farm Town. I don't know how to link with a computer or I would send you my FB link in an email.

I couldn't find you on Facebook - too many people with your name. LOL Send me an email with the email address you signed up with on Facebook and I will see if I can find you that way.

Sooey, yes I am on the Kitchen Table Group. I love looking at everyone's farms to see how they do it. I am not so creative as some people are. LOL

Anne

• Cherryfizz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Patti, if you do a search for me on Facebook the picture I use is a black and white picture of my Mom holding me when I was a baby just in case there are others with my name. My network is Detroit.

Anne

• Pooh Bear
    14 years ago

I found it. Looks like fun if I can ever figure it out.

Pooh Bear

• hayjud_mn
    14 years ago

Several years ago our DGSs had the SIMS computer game, Sim City and Sim Park. I got started on Sim Park and I was up all night because weeds were taking over the lake and the trees caught on fire and the animals were dieing out.

It was either impossible to leave it or (very likely) i couldn't figure out how to pause it.

This Farm Town sounds very much like that game and I don't know if I dare even try it. I need my sleep!

Besides i just registered at Facebook two nights ago and I have no idea what to do with it or how to do anything.

I have always hung out at the Kitchen Table, and this site is so easy to figure out that I really didn't learn much about navigating a site. Over there I felt SO computer illeterate!

I'm glad so many of you are enjoying farming. LOL Are you all dressed in overalls? (snicker)

• kathleen44
    14 years ago

I am addicted to that game.
    I heard about it from someone that said she was hoooked on to this game. I didn't belong to facebook so didn't know about it.

Then I got talked into joining and next thing I know that person invited me and there I became a farmer.

I found out after I had been harvesting my own crops that you get more money if you hire from the market.

Of if you are like so many that they have their spouses that have a farm too and so they hire each other and then friends too. You will find that they go up really fast doing that.

I worked sweat and blood, didn't buy coins why? spend your money in buying coins, earn them.

Also its important to have lots of neigbhours too so you can go up in levels that way too.
    And you not only receive gifts from neigbhours but also you send them out too. That is important too.

Yes, its nice to have ones that can send you things that you can't get or buy as there are only a few trees you can buy and to get the others you need neigbhours to send them too.

Also the new things that have come out makes it even more interesting and fun to get to those levels to buy them.

I am on level 28. I worked very hard, I even had to sell animal to earn money. Also when you click my neighbours, they will at times have you go and tend and visit them and so you earn money that way. I did it that way.

I wasn't getting jobs, then I got tiny bit, got one job that I reliazed why spouses and friends were so far ahead and had tons of things on their farms because they were making huge money from them.

As I have the full size farm, you have tons of crops that come in and so people get to know when you go to the market to hire.

I like to not touch my trees as they don't rot and the fruit on them are so colourful and makes it pretty on the farm.

But last night once more this gal wouldn't leave them alone and I kept saying do not touch my trees and she couldn't care less and kept on. I finally clicked ignore and vanished her. And then again in my storage shed where the harvests go into I sold those and then found number one and again another tree harvested. I went huh? Then I got upset and tired and bad day yesterday and logged off of facebook. Came back on and guess what? Another number one in storage shed, more fruit trees again harvested.

I didn't like it and to be so rude and disrespectful to do that to my trees.

They had huge crops to harvest and so they didn't have to touch my trees. They earned plenty with the crops alone.

I had my trees done when I had small farms as I needed the money desperately to plow and seed as that costs money to do.

I found out about the wrench icon on top of page on right side and click on it and got lots of things on it.

You can hide your trees and buildings as then you can do crops underneath them that way, more land to use.

Also checking out farms, I wondered how they had their crops together without the spaces that I did. Same wrench icon I found out stopped the spaces and so got more put in that way. You can freeze your animals.

Its fun as the farm sizes grow for you in figuring out your farm the way you like it. Its your personally.

Its fun checking out other farms to get ideas and see what they are at and have on it. I love how some really get creative with their crops and spell things,etc. and patterns too. Wow!

Also you can do buddies, that is useful when you go to harvest as you will find out you will get booted off here and there. YOu will be busy harvesting for someone and then next thing you know you are booted off and can't get back. But if you made them your buddy you can click on buddy list and click on their farm by their name and get back. Its happening alot especially with huge farms.

Also if they hire too many to harvest their farms, that will happen alot then.

I will try to hire 3 people when all my crops are ready to harvest.

Watch out for the hoggers, some are so fast in harvesting crops and others like me are slow at harvesting.

I had this guy that was buzzing bad in the market and I got hired and went good, got away from him and I have this area to harvest that I picked and was enjoying myself and relaxed and then next thing I knew this guy too my harvests. I was upset with him hogging like that.

He had already done tons and didn't need to take the bit I had too.

Warning its addicting if you sign up to facebook and get invited to play it.

Be warned too the larger size farm, the more you have to work on it.

One thing is by that time you can buy all the seeds you want of all in the store. Pumpkins take 4 days, onions are 3 days and for me they take too long. Peas I like they take 2 days. And then there are ones that are 2 to one day.

I was told to buy potato seeds so that way you have them coming in daily.

Do not buy when you start out anything in the store as you need all the money for your plowing and seeds.

Unless you are wanting to spend your own money and buy coins to buy stuff.

I find its better and nicer to earn them the good ole' hard way by working hard to get up there and to earn the money yourself. It took me forever to buy the white farmhouse which costs 300,000. And I just bought a barn and silo. And the new things that came in I have been buying. Also loving the flowers too that finally have come in. We have been waiting forever for those to come in.

I thought the pig was so cute too as its so funny all of a sudden it will fall over on its side sleeping. Too funny.

You can click on the animals and the dog will scratch, wag its tail and other animals do things too.

It also took me forever to buy the small pond. First came the white farm house.

Now the new things are so cheap to buy. I love the river and bridges.

Pathways, I blew all my money on dirt pathways as I was building them up around the farm and each time it grew in size, had to buy some more.

Enjoy and hope you can work on it so you grow fast to get up to that large size farm and buy so many things that you can't when you are on the smaller sizes.

• Cherryfizz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathleen, I don't like when people harvest my trees either but my computer is so slow that they have already done them before I have even seen they are gone and have already sent out my request not to. LOL

I go to the market to sell my harvest and get hired and now I know to go offline or press the green plug at the top so nobody will see me at the market. I usually end up getting hired by someone with a huge farm and my computer has to reload or the server times out and I end up doing nothing. I feel bad for the person who hired me but I explain in the chat box if I disappear or don't harvest it is because my computer is slow. I would love the coins harvesting someone else's farm if I could do it. I am going to go to the market to look for a job and ask someone with a normal sized farm to hire me. I am saving for a house you know. LOL

Anne

Sponsored
Threshold Design and Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Design + Build Services in Mecklenburg County, VA