SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthieg__tx

Senator Marco Rubio

ruthieg__tx
11 years ago

I was listening to an interview with Senator Marco Rubio about his book "An American Son: A Memoir."...and I saw exactly the point that he was making. He said that when he (and other people grew up in years past, their parents gave them or instilled in the courage, inspiration, values, will, and imagination to succeed. They made sure that their kids were getting an education so that all these things were possible...something they never accomplished. They made their children aware that they could achieve their dreams and that all they needed to do was work hard for it.....

Many of today's parents have forgotten all those values and the important thing for them to give is iPads, computers, expensive computer games and the xBox things...a car when they reach 16.. They believe that the important thing is to give their kids the things (possessions) that they didn't have growing up....

I know that I grew up in a totally different time and I do not believe that all children are bad and that many work hard and do achieve their dreams. Unfortunately I also see the exact opposite of that in so many. The way they talk to adults and conduct themselves is unbelievable. The moral values that they seem to have is sorely lacking. Today's kids accept, as the norm things that would make our ancestors cringe...things like having children out of wedlock, living with or sleeping with half a dozen mates before deciding which one they will marry. Kids got into trouble in times past but not to the extent that is happening today. If even my child had talked to me the way I see other kids talking to their parents on tv programs and on the news, I can't imagine what I would have felt. What happened to respect for ones parents. I wasn't an angel by any means but I will tell you this, I walked the straight and narrow because I didn't want to hurt my parents. Has the sense of right from wrong in behavior gone away and in it's place....because I want to... I see it in my own family and the families of friends and neighbors.......lack of respect......a sense of whatever feels good at the moment, a sense of entitlement....They expect it, and they get it or they will make life hell for their parents.

His book sounds to me like a book I would like to read.

I know that the current rage is crap like 50 Shades of Gray...but more people should be reading books like Rubio's.

Comments (24)