SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dailyalice_gw

Seeking layout advice for super-weird kitchen shape

dailyalice
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing this site for a while now, and have been getting some great ideas. However, I haven't seen anything that quite addresses the layout of the kitchen in my new house, hence the post. Rather than trying to describe this awe-inspiring space, I'll give you the scale drawing I made:

{{!gwi}}

First the basics: The house is a 1946 colonial revival, and the kitchen is still nearly the same as when the house was built. Right now there's only one cook in the kitchen, me, but I'd like to be able to accommodate two butts if possible. I don't have too many pots and pans, or gadgets. I'm something of a cookware minimalist, which should help! Now, I'm generally in favor of keeping whatever I can that's original to the house, but something's gotta give in the kitchen.

It would be a very small U-shape, except for the bay window breakfast nook that comes out of one corner. The bay window sills are low, about 27 inches from the floor, so I can't use the space in front of them for anything but seating. The separate range and oven concept doesn't really work in this space. I'd rather have more counter space. Overall I want to kitchen to feel cozy, bright, and inviting. Currently it feels dark and claustrophobic, except for the breakfast nook.

Must keeps: 1. Some seating in the breakfast nook. It's a great place to have a cup of coffee in the morning.

Must add: Dishwasher (I've tried living without one before, can't stand it), some work space on one or both sides of the range.

Must lose: the double oven

I'm pretty open to shuffling appliance locations, even using part of the breakfast nook for something. But I feel like each idea I come up with results is a really strange layout. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)