SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Considering a countertop height table- please weigh in opinions

raehelen
16 years ago

Well,

DH and I spent most of today looking for a new kitchen/dining room table and chairs. We presently have an antique oak table (light-med stain)and typical bentwood type back oak chairs. We added a counter-height peninsula in the new kitchen which can accomodate three bar stools, and as the old dining room area which is now the expanded kitchen eating area is fairly small (10' x 10.5'), we figured that by buying a counter height table we could eliminate having to have two rows of chairs, and thus save at least two badly needed feet, ie 'bar stools' for peninsula could double as chairs for table, and wouldn't have to 'back up' to normal height chairs.

But, I'm a little worried about the comfort of sitting at a counter height table. The chairs we are seriously considering are upholstered and with the prettiest back, expensive for our budget @ $350 each (on sale), but doable since we'd 'save' not having to buy three bar stools in addition to six dining chairs. So, I guess what I'm asking is for anyone who has experience with counter height tables, are they comfortable, and did you regret making that change?

Thanks, Rae

Comments (34)

• Elaine Young
    16 years ago

Rae- last year we remodeled our kitchen and the breakfast nook is a very small area. The counter height table (fairly small rectangle shape) made sense for the size area and kept a nice consistent look with the matching height of the counters. We have two counter height chairs with backs and we put cushions on the seats that match the curtains. This added comfort to the hard surface of the chairs. We find these chairs just as comfortable as the standard table height chairs. We are very happy that we chose a counter height table!

• creekylis
    16 years ago

I have a counter height and kind of wish I didn't. I love the table, but due to its height it is a much bigger "presence" in the room. I also find I don't sit there much -- I guess it's just not as comfortable as I thought it would be. I've actually thought of cutting the legs down to regular height and replacing my chairs. DH, on the other hand, really likes the table... so, matter of opinion I suppose.

P.S... I've had this for about 2 years or so.

• Related Discussions

Two Height Island - Counter Height and Table Height?

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi Bev, Sorry to say that "ct" is indeed Connecticut, and the table was made by a local cabinetmaker. However, before we decided to use him, we priced our options online and found a couple of places that could do a "round table with the end cut off" for us -- DeVos in Texas and Grothouse Lumber in Pennsylvania were both excellent options. (And both were REALLY nice and extremely helpful!) We ended up with African mahogany because that was the only wood that our local guy could use and stay within the pricing of the online suppliers, but they offered many other options and both were willing to make an odd-shaped tabletop if we provided either a template or exact measurements. We went with the local guy in part because he was able to match the bids we had and -- more importantly -- because he could make the pedestal as well. There are other options (metal pedestals) you could buy online, but I liked having it custom made of the same wood as the table. So all in all, it was easier to use the local guy -- he came and installed it, he saw the space and the island before he made it, etc. I suspect any good cabinetmaker could make a custom table for you. This one ran about $2,000. (Our guy REALLY wanted to use a crotch-cut walnut table, hunting-lodge style: rustic, "unusual" etc. I had to gently just KEEP saying "umm, no... round, please" I'm sure the "rustic" walnut would have been stunning, but we were looking for a different look...) We LOVE the round, it encourages conversation, is very flexible in numbers of chairs, etc. We, too, have lots of windows and a big 12-foot slider in this kitchen/family room -- we didn't want to commit floor space to a full table and chairs. This has been a perfect compromise. Here is another picture of the underside of the table, and the way it's mounted to the island, in case that's helpful if you talk to cabinetmakers:
    ...See More

Opinions Please. Microwave on countertop.

Q

Comments (15)
    I know its not PC on here to admit it but I have a microhood with a 36 inch range top and it is great. I think it looks fine but that is just my opinion. I didn't want to put it on the counter and thought of mounting in an upper cab but we lost so much space that way. I did mourn the loss of a gorgeous range hood, plus the power of it as well but it was the best solution for our small galley kitchen. I do LOVE my double ovens and would not would have wanted to lose it to micro or even a speed oven. It is one of the few 36 inch models out there however and they tend to be expensive. I do vent it to the outside and so far it has been fine. I do live in Southern Cali though so if it gets a bit smoky, i just open the side door which is a few feet away from my cooktop. Don't know if I would have done this option if I lived in say, Minnasota and couldn't open my door half the year!
    ...See More

Opinions on these flooring, counter, backsplash choices?

Q

Comments (1)
    Meant to post this is kitchen forum. Will re-post there, if there are moderators here, please feel free to delete this one.
    ...See More

Please post pictures of your counter-tops

Q

Comments (151)
    Love love love this topic. Your kitchens are amazing. Looking for pics of stainless; particularly of stainless with white cabinets and beadboard backsplash... Have you ever seen this combo? Any ideas would be awesome. Again truly amazing kitchens!!
    ...See More
  • rosie
    16 years ago

My first thought that I personally hate them was offset when I read your reason for considering one. It does make sense. I'm 5'2" and really don't like climbing up onto the chairs, but the guy next to me last time just strolled up and relaxed onto it (well over a foot taller). In spite of their fitness for the many tall people around these days, though, they're downright unfriendly to elderly, infirm, and short folks, which makes me wonder if they won't end up being just a passing fad. A lot people have a variety of family and friends they need to accommodate.

• slc2053
    16 years ago

Here's ours...reason...we have a big dog!

I don't love it..nor do I hate it...I've had both heights and don't really have a preference. The benefit for us is the height to put food up higher than the dog's sight line (:-0) and to be able to interchange bar stools. We can pull stools from the table to the island and vice versa as needed.

• evaperconti
    16 years ago

Counter height stools are not difficult to get onto at all...regular bar height stools are and I always feel like a little kid in one...but counterheight is at a very convenient height. We have a couple of overweight friends and they actually prefer the higher stool since getting up and down from a chair height is uncomfortable for them.

• User
    16 years ago

I really value my table, at it's height of 30". I use it a lot for food prep, especially when I'm baking. The counters are just too high for some activities.

I'm 5'7" and I don't like climbing onto bar stools - counter height or higher. I do have counter height stools at the peninsula, but family rarely use them, seeming to prefer the table.

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks,

It is really good to hear varying opinions. slc2053, your table and chairs are VERY similar to the ones we have our eyes on.

It's just the two of us for 95% of the time. Kids have moved away from home, and most of our entertaining is done during the summer months and is outside on our patio furniture. Though... with my new kitchen, and once the rest of house becomes a 'deconstruction zone', I can forsee that that may change, I MAY learn to enjoy cooking and we might change our habits. :>)

We've only been in our new kitchen for a couple of weeks, but already everyone (both kids are home for Christmas) has been congregating around the peninsula, and that means two of us have been standing through meals, even though the table is just a few feet away! :>) DH loves his early morning breakfast there, and he's only 5'6" (same as me) and the counter height bar stool is obviously not a problem for him. My short DD is concerned, but the chairs do have a rung on them (and she is only home for 2-3 weeks a year).

Rosie, I hear you about the variety of people needing accommodation, but unfortunately there is only my Mom left, and she is such an infrequent visitor (she lives far away), that it is truly not a factor (and she has bar stools in her new kitchen too! :>)

I was actually surprised at how many counter height tables there were at the furniture stores ( we hit seven or eight yesterday), anyhow, thought I'd take a page out of Francy's book and do a mock-up of the counter height. I thought I was brilliant and was going to set the table up on plywood on top of the wooden frame we used to support cabinets we installed, until my more brilliant DS suggested putting it on top of the table instead! Then, I just used a piece of drywall I had floating around (oh, the advantages of renovations!)

Here's a pic of the mock-up. Darn, knew we should have positioned chandelier off-centre- oh well, can't have it perfect, I suppose!

{{!gwi}}

Hearing your responses got me thinking, I better make sure chandelier clears new table height. I first had 'table' a couple of inches higher, and Wow, what an impact on space that extra couple of inches makes!

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Here's our tabletop at the end of our island. It rests on a little granite ledge or riser placed on the island near the end so it's actually a little higher than counter height, but our counter stools are great with it height-wise.

• lightlystarched
    16 years ago

I have a small eat-in area in my kitchen and I am looking for a smallish counter-height table. I love that when people are sitting in the kitchen visiting, they are closer to my eye level while I'm cooking. Also, you need a little less leg room than with a 30" table, so you can fit more people around a smaller table. I also like that in a small space, having a uniform horizontal surface seems to make the room more spacious.

• carolemed
    16 years ago

We have a counter height breakfast table for the same reason you are thinking of one -- the counterheight stools at the island can come over to the table and vice versa! We found what we like at Room and Board in Chicago. They sell table bases in a variety of styles and heights and table tops in a variety of materials and shapes. We chose a 36 inch diameter butcherblock top on a small metal base. It matches the butcherblock insets in our soapstone.

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Butcherblock insets in soapstone?????

Sorry to change the subject, but I know lots of folks would love to see that (there have prior discussions of them, but no photos). Could you post a picture in a different thread??

:-)

Francy

• redbazel
    16 years ago

I'm going to echo Momj47 here. I'm just over 5'7, and I really dislike the counter height sets for comfort. I think they look cute in many kitchens, but I wouldn't buy one myself. My son and new daughter-in-law just bought a set from Sears for their apartment. I told them that they will probably wish for a standard dining set in about a year, but of course, it's their choice. Older people usually hate them, so that would be a consideration for me too.

Red

• brody_miasmom
    16 years ago

I like mine. I do wonder if I'll love it forever though. This height makes it easier for the cook to carry one a conversation with the non cook. Here is a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• laura1202
    16 years ago

I *think I will love mine forever. It was custom made and is solid maple stained and glazed to match my perimeter cabinets. We've had it ~6 months and are really happy with it so far, it's very comfortable for us. I also like that it's the same height as the island, so all the chairs are interchangeable.

{{!gwi}}

• susanilz5
    16 years ago

I don't like the high kitchen tables. I find that while I'm cooking everyone sits on the counter height bar stools around the island to chat, but they prefer to move to the standard height kitchen table to have a meal. If you don't have an island with stools it may be more comfortable to have a high table to make conversation with the cook easier. But a standard table is usually more comfortable, especially for the elderly.

• sojay
    16 years ago

I had the same worries about height also, and had a very similar thread going (long off the page now). My solution was to get a height adjustable table with stools that have a hydraulic lift. The legs are metal, but will fit just fine into my very modern kitchen.
    I can't seem to find a pic the model I got, but it's similar to this, but with a T-shape instead of an X:
    {{!gwi}}

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

At the rate my property and school taxes are increasing, I'll be lucky to still be living here when I'm elderly and worrying about the height of my tabletop/seating!

Right now the only time I b**ch about the seating height, is when I drop something while seated and can't just reach down to pick it up!

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ha Ha CatMom!

Never thought of that! :>)

WEll, DH and DS just took apart my old antique (made in 1867), so have already told DS he will inherit it when he's finished Military College and has a permanent residence. For now, it will get moved to my craft room, and IF we decide we can't stand the new counter height table and chairs, he can inherit them (he's over 6', so I'm sure he can accommodate the increased height), and we'll take back the old oak one (though that won't solve our space issue).

I was kinda thinking that sojay's solution is the absolute best, but design wise those options wouldn't really go well in my craftsman styled home, and $wise I'm guessing it would cost a fair amount- I've already got a tender tummy from this purchase- OH if I'd only known that the reno cost wasn't just the reno cost, but the cost of all the new stuff I wanna put in my new space!!!

So, we're off to pick up the new dining set- will post pics later- had to special order two more chairs, so we'll have to live with the ugly freebie bar stools for a couple more months!

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

New table set up-

Now, can hardly wait for new chairs to arrive!

Nice thing about this set; solid maple and Made in Canada, is that I can order all kinds of coordinating pieces, am already thinking about Mission style bookcases with inset doors and leaded glass for the LR!

Rae

• slc2053
    16 years ago

Who makes your table? Ours (as you stated above is similar to yours_and is pictured earlier in your post) is from Canada as well...Company is Canadel...

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Nice! The stools look like they'll go well with you cabs/granite, too!

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

slc2053 (It feels like I'm talking in a sci fi movie :>),

Our manufacturer is Woodworks. website is www.woodworks.ca

I just went on to their website, and was surprised to find out it is actually a local company- I live in the Fraser Valley.

There is just no substitute for feeling and seeing wood in person. The attention to detail on each piece is quite impressive. Even the underside of the table is stained. Many of the pieces we looked at elsewhere were not. They wanted us to wait to pick up until today so that they could touch up any marks on the furniture and felt all the legs- little details that make a difference!

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodworks website

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

raehelen--do you know if they make cherry tables? It listed oak or maple, but I know sometimes sites don't list all options. How are their prices?

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cat-mom, I will try and find out for you. Stores will be closed now (6:00pm on Sunday). I am guessing that they won't.

I think their prices are very competitive for the quality of work. Of course, Asian imports are about 1/3 of the price. Each dealer will be different- I don't think you could buy directly from them_ I couldn't even find a yellow pages listing for Woodworks. The table and 4 chairs were listed as reg price $3500 CAD (which would be ~ the same for you), The Oak Market (local store that sold them) had them priced at $2700, and then had a Boxing Day special of $1999 for the floor model. The chairs are reg $389 (at The Oak Market), so they may have a manufacturer's list price of more. I think that is perhaps a little less than the Canadel price which is another very popular Made in Canada line.

These are pieces that I can envision being handed down for generations. Extremely well-made in solid Maple, chairs look like they are hand-made, edges are bevelled, hardware like the locks under the table are of high quality... and the chairs/chair backs are very comfortable.

Even though they may not be available in cherry, they are available in a variety of different stains...

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Thanks raehelen. Even though I need to start planning the bathrooms, we also need LR and DR furniture, so I'm looking around to see what's out there in case I have more $ at my disposal than expected!

• snookums
    16 years ago

We have a counter-height set and we truly do love it. We don't have an island or a peninsula in our kitchen, and it also provides extra workspace when we need it.

Ours seats 8. We keep 6 chairs around it most days though, but do keep 2 extra in the closet in case we have company.

It truly is the gathering spot of our home. When we had a regular table it wasn't like that so much.

• creekylis
    16 years ago

I have the same table as snookums, but with different chair backs. It's very large, and we keep the leaf out most of the time, so it's (I think) 48" square. I like the heft of the table, but in our case I still think it is visually heavy in the room. Of course, it is in the nook in front of a bay of windows, so perhaps that is why I feel that way.

• Julie Drew
    16 years ago

I'm planning counter height seating, too, but I am still stuck on what my kids (2 and 4) will use for seats. At a regular table, they use Stokke seats, which are really perfect. The seats are adjustable, but unfortunately can't be adjusted all the way up to work for counter height.

Francy, what sort of seat does your 3 year use?

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK,

My 'Baby' is 21 years old, so perhaps I shouldn't comment, but aren't High Chairs the original counter height chair? I would guess that in a children's furniture store you would have lots of choices...

• Julie Drew
    16 years ago

I was looking for wooden chairs with no tray - the kind with adjustable seat/footrest that scoots right up to the table. Unfortunately they generally are only for regular tables. I've found only one exception (see link) but was hoping to find something better looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: child chair

• snookums
    16 years ago

Ikea sells a variety of child chairs - I'm not sure if any of them are adjustable though. (like high chairs but with no tray) I used to have a nice one from Ikea that cost me a whopping $30 and got years of use.

Al's Woodcraft also sells them unfinished, so many other unfinished furniture stores may also sell them too.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

my mom's house has a large counter high table (seats 6) and it's invaluable. She doesn't have an island in her small kitchen so a lot of food prep happens on the table and during buffet's the food sits there and it is at a comfortable height. She uses two chairs with backs so those are comfortable for sitting which her and my dad use daily, and 4 bar stools (which I don't find comfortable at all)but since I don't live there i don't mind. I'd definitely want a stool with a back. When we're over there we eat most of our meals there, despite the dining room just a few feet away. it's also great for any kind of crafting or activities or cards.

• cmcphyllis
    5 years ago

From a designers standpoint, it makes everyone at eye level w who is prepping in the kitchen and doesn’t segregate anyone - everyone in the area feels like they are part of the action.

I am short and a senior and I think the chairs are much easier to get in and out of because they are higher and it is hard on my knees for the lower standard height chairs (and I am not overweight)... so it eliminates the difficulty of getting in and out of the chairs.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio