SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janjan212

Opinions Please. Microwave on countertop.

janjan212
12 years ago

Opinions here please.....If you were house shopping for a larger family home, in a nice, but cookie cutter neighborhood, where they had updated their kitchen (at least somewhat from builder grade) If this house had a Viking or Miele dishwasher, a 36" gas cooktop and Electrolux Icon double ovens. Would it bother you if the microwave was on the counter?

I mean, do people still put them on the counter? Well, I KNOW some people do for various reasons, but would you have rather had a single wall oven and built in micro combo, or double ovens and the micro on the countertop? There would still be plenty of countertop space available, in addition to an island countertop for prep.

OK..Really long story, but I will try to narrow it down. Our situation in a big nutshell...Moved in 3 years ago, house built in 2000. Large 3500+ sq feet, cookie cutter. We planned complete remodel of kitchen, put it off, realized this is not our forever home and that we would just do an update instead. New countertops were a must (former owners did a horrid job installing granite tiles). Getting new sink, faucet, etc. Also needed was a new dishwasher. While dishwasher shopping, I decided it would be a perfect time to add the double ovens I have always wanted. I would only need them during the holidays and occasional get togethers, but have always dreamed of them. This means moving the microwave which is used daily OR totally modifying the wall cabinet and rewiring electrical for the added appliance. (more than we want to get involved in or budget for) we can not add it inside a cabinet or pantry. The only logical solution would be countertop. We would buy a Spacesaver so it was thinner, about upper cabinet depth and look the least intrusive as a countertop appliance of this size would be. BUT, it would make it hard for any future owner to change back to a built in...

Would this make you shake your head and cross our house of your list?

Comments (15)