SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huango

marble abutting butcherblock: how to keep out gunk out of seam?

huango
11 years ago

Hola,

This other thread "Shim to make granite taller? by lazygardens" made me think:
-->** Howdo I keep the gunk out of the seam where the marble abuts the butcher block peninsula countertop?

See picture below of my kitchen.
To the right of the cooktop (big hole right now) is the 2 1/4inches thick butcher block for the peninsula countertop. It has a 14inch overhang.

The hood backsplash is the same Danby marble slab, that goes from the left wall (under left hood cabinet) to the right edge of the right hood cabinet.
So yes, the backsplash will go over the marble cooktop countertop and over half of the butcherblock peninsula.
Because of that, I have the marble and bb at the same height (I lowered the peninsula toekick height).

-->** Is the following tip required? So I need to leave 0.25" spacer next to the marble, and 0.25" next to the wall?
- leave a quarter of an inch all around your counters, meaning between the wood and the wall to allow the wood to expand

From the Shim thread: GreenDesign - "Do a small lip where the butcher block rests on top of the granite and is a different height. That's the most successful way to transition things...The best functioning installations do have some height difference, in just the manner I described. That allows to not have to have caulk in between the two surfaces which can get kind of grody. The BB can be removed and the joint cleaned if it's done in an overlap method."

thank you very much for your help,
so close, yet... (familyroom floor tiles are still not in: hopefully right after Christmas...)

Amanda

Here is a link that might be useful: Shim to make granite taller?

Comments (2)