SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Verrryyyy long counters: can we use butcherblock?

Stacey Collins
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
It has been a long time since I've been here. Hope everyone is well!

I am helping my mom design a major renovation of her new house (a whole-house gut-to-studs reno of a dilapidated 1780 Cape Cod right down the street from me!)

She is using Ikea cabinets with some customization, and has her heart set on wooden counters. However, she just made a design change that solves a gazillion problems EXCEPT introduces a new snag: the counter is very long. 18 feet!!! Yikes. What about seams?

I've checked around and the longest lengths available from Boos or Lumber Liquidators are 12'. Even my fab local custom guys, who made my cherry plank counters, don't think it's a good idea to glue up a 18' length. Ikea birch (also possibly in the running depending on how the budget goes) only come up to 8'. So any way you look at it, it seems there'll be seams ;)

She is using an Ikea drop-in (top mount, self-rimming) sink, and does not like the look of apron sinks, which might have solved the problem. She also doesn't want to break up the counter with another material... she's really in love with having this loooooooong expanse.

If it matters, she prefers plank-style to the thin strip butcherblock style.

Thoughts about seams? Creative solutions?

Thanks!!!

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County