SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

Am I nuts? Yet another marble question

worldmom
15 years ago

I originally wanted honed carrara marble on my island, but the prices I was getting were just too high. I settled on the idea of having a marble stretch of countertop (5') in my baking center because I love to bake and it seemed a good compromise.

So, I went stone shopping today and found a carrara slab I really like. The prices of the slab and the fabrication at this particular yard were much more reasonable than I've gotten previously, and now I'm rethinking the island option because we could actually swing it. But now I'm hung up on whether it would be a wise choice given that we have so many young cooks in the kitchen - 12, for those who don't know. ;o)

I've read all the other honed marble threads I could find, and I've researched quite a bit elsewhere. I can handle "patina" - a little etching, light stains, and the like. But when I think about the very real accidents that happen around here, pretty much on a daily basis, I shudder to think of what they could do to my precious marble. It didn't help that saleslady at the yard handed me a full-page disclaimer about marble to read. ;o)

So, for all you pro-marble folks, would you still go with marble if you had 12 kids?

FWIW, if we go with the baking center option, I plan to keep a large butcher block board on the counter to help protect it when kids are pulling things out of the fridge and making snacks. Plus, if it ever got significantly stained or etched, it would be a lot cheaper to deal with that one small piece.

Our perimeter countertops will be soapstone, so that's what will go on the island if we don't do the marble there.

Comments (13)