SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattyw5

Ann a question on RRD am I nuts?

For 2 years now I've done my best to keep track of my rrd. Where plant is located,whats used on rose and when,health of rose after winter, ect, ect. Keeping a log as you mentioned. Now I'm not saying I've never had RRD but in my garden something else seems to be going on. First herbicide damage would be nearly impossible as I don't use any and have not a neighbor even close that dose their yards. Without fail my RRD starts 2 to 3 weeks after alfafa tea. It's almost allways growth coming from a damaged crown. Like the older part of crown or winter damaged unhealthy part of rose. I'm not sure how to explain that part. The growth is ugly. The usual growth you would see in a picture posted here of a rose with RRD. In the past the rose would have been removed' this year I tried something else. This year when I saw a bright red very hyper thorny cane growing in a circle around Tamora instead of remove the rose or cane I just removed the circle. Left enough of cane with lots of short rubbery bristles, long skinny leaves so I could see what would happen. I swear Tamora is absolutely heathy and beautiful after six weeks. Been watching another rose for six weeks, did not remove any of ugly growth. It's a struggle not to run with shovel in hand and remove it but after 5 weeks now it's starting to look much more normal. Canes are finally getting some green and not as rubbery. As it lenghtens it's getting some longer thorns and the masses of short rubbery ones are not as noticable. Still has long skinny leaves thats not normal. Have to say it looks pretty darn good thou. I think it was rosenut or maybe not who took out a rose a while back. An interesting comment was made that all of the RRD looking growth was on an old part of the crown. That was a glimmer of hope that maybe I'm not nuts. Is this at all possible for alfalfa tea to force growth on apart of a rose that isn't healthy enough to produce healthy growth. I have had several other roses with happy endings this year. I do know thou if Tamora with it's cane growing in a circle,hyper thorny soft and rubbery with long skinny leaves stays healthy than someelse is going on. I hope people are kind about this post, just a little nervous saying this out loud. Is there any chance anyone else has had this experience orrr am I really just nuts? Thanks so much if you manage to read this whole post and understand it.

Comments (6)