SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehjoslin

open kitchen-family room... color help!

dragonfly08
12 years ago

We are only a few days away from demolition of our current kitchen, along with ripping out all flooring and part of ceiling on the first floor. I am starting to get palpitations when I pause to think about it, both from excitement and nerves! At this point, other than (re-)packing up my first floor (we only moved into the house 8 weeks ago), my last major decision involves colors. Truth be told, I've never lived in a house with colored walls and I've never had to make paint/wall decisions. Needless to say, I have very little confidence in what I am doing. I've been scouring the internet and magazines, picking my design-savvy friends' minds, and putting colors together with the BM fandeck I've been able to get a hold of. Also, I have a few tile samples that are on their way to me so I can test them out in person.

My kitchen opens up to the family room. Actually, we are hoping to open up the adjoining dining room wall to make that open, too. Along one wall of the kitchen, there is a set of french doors that open into the sunroom. The coffee/wine counter will be on the other side of these doors. Also off the kitchen is a doorway that leads to the garage and our soon-to-be mudroom.

What is set: My countertop will be white and light gray (super white quartzite), my cabinets are white (BM Chantilly Lace) and our floors are going to be darker-stained hardwood.

These are my inspiration photos:

traditional spaces design by san francisco interior designer Fiorella Design

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-home-design-ideas-phbr1-bp~s_2107) by new york kitchen and bath Susan Serra, CKD

I am in love with the idea of using a pale colored backsplash tile with the white cabinets and I'm leaning more towards pale green or sage, rather than blue. However, unlike the first photo, I will not be able to bring the tiles up and around my window (cabinets will just about butt up against the side of the windows). So, I am left with painting the inch of wall to the sides of the windows, as well as above. Likewise, I would also need to paint (in same color) the area around and above the french doors as well as doorway leading to garage/mudroom. My cabinets go up to the ceiling, so no paint above them. This brings me to my first dilemna... what color? I'm considering a cream (BM Linen White), a white (should it be lighter or darker than my cabinets?), a darker tan (BM Brookline Beige?) or even a gray/pewter.

This makes me nervous b/c at this point, I'm already dealing with 3 different paint colors: cabinets, backsplash, and walls. And I haven't even considered the family room and dining room, which are all open to the kitchen. At times, I wonder if I should just do the default and get white subway tiles... would make the color decision easier, I'd think. I just love the idea of color tiles so much more.

I also really LOVE BM Shaker Beige for my family room. My second dilemna... Would this color go with the white/pale-green kitchen? Should I bring the Shaker Beige into the kitchen walls? Here's the color:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/products/shaker-beige-hc-45-by-benjamin-moore-prvw-vr~270263)

[paints stains and glazes design[(https://www.houzz.com/products/paint-prbr0-br~t_505)

This brings me to 4 paint colors. For someone who is completely new to wall colors, 4 colors for 2 rooms is terribly daunting. Any suggestions? Input?

Comments (8)