SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dejongdreamhouse

Updated kitchen photos with fun stuff (picture heavy)

dejongdreamhouse
12 years ago

We went back today to see all the fun stuff. It's not completely done because there are a few electrical issues that need to be addressed before the front panel of the outer island goes on, and the marble top baking center will be added in a few weeks with the rest of the countertop, but other than that, my kitchen cabs are installed!

A little background I forgot to add with my previous post. I love to cook so the kitchen was a priority to me. I also live with a brain injury, so we put a lot of thought into using as much universal design as we can afford. The floors will be cork for greater sound proofing, which means my son will finally be able to have playdates. (Hardwood floors are terrible for my headaches. So happy to be rid of them!). We have extra wide halls, rockers instead of light switches, levers and pulls instead of knobs, raised dishwasher, lots of drawers, etc. We tend toward function over form, but really wanted an accessible kitchen that was more transitional/modern than nursing home!

View from my command center, which will be installed in a few weeks:

The frig cabinet is open on top because I'm 5'4" and never use those cabinets. Instead, I have two baskets, one with our first aid kit and one with our cleaning supplies.

DH holding up the outer island panel:

Clean simple corbels:

Both sinks have tip out trays:

The top two drawers have built in dividers for utensils:

The legs show approximately where the lowered marble baking table will be. It's open underneath to accommodate a wheelchair, or my 3-year-old sous chef!

HUGE baking center drawers to the right of the baking center and under the future home of my new kitchen aid. These are way bigger than I thought they'd be, so I might use one of these for our games.

I'm in awe of the craftsmanship:

Our pulls:

Lazy susan:

Oil/wine cubbies to the left of the cooktop:

Bread drawer next to the frig. I love to make bread and DH loves to eat it. (He'll eat 1/2 a loaf at a time!). I had one of these when I was growing up and love it.

We had glass cabinets in the home we just sold and they rattled. I was happy to see that these are silent:

All the cabinets and drawers have soft close with Blumotion:

I was really impressed that there's no ridge between the frame and the shelf. Just perfectly smooth:

Unexpected big drawer under the microwave drawer. Right now, we make family dinners a priority, but this could be a warming drawer in the future:

Nice big drawer under the double oven, and slots above for cookie sheets and cutting boards.

This picture shows the true espresso color best:

Molding:

One of the things I really like about our cabinet maker was the way he looked for ways to maximize space. I love this adjustable shelf. He put the shelves in equally spaced, but I'll put my paper towels and wipes there.

So excited about our recycling center. It's touch controlled with a Blum servodrive. Our cabinet maker upgraded from the foot pedal (for free!) because he wanted to see how it works. The two bins are trash and plastic/metal recycling. The top tray will have 2 baskets. One for paper recycling and one for odd recycling (batteries, light bulbs, etc)

Recycling center closed:

Comments (21)