SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huango

My marble seams = no bueno.

huango
11 years ago

My marble seams = no bueno.
What color should my seam material be for the Danby Mountain White marble countertop?

1st off: I LOOOOOVVVVVEEE my countertop.
I'm still giddy with happiness. They're gorgeous (I may be biased).

Note: since I only purchase 2 slabs, and my countertop uses just about all of it, the fabricators did their best on matching up similar seams/coloring. So I don't mind the off-coloring of the LEFT seam, and veining not matching up perfectly in the RIGHT seam.

Now, onto the seams.
What do you think of them?
What do you think of the color of the seam material?
Are the seams supposed to feel absolutely smooth and not grout-like?

I definitely know that the Right seam (w/ all the veining) needs to be a different color. Would grey work? What about areas where there's no dark (grey/green/blue) veining? Would the grey be too dark? Do I expect the installer to "paint" darker seam material in the veins?

-->** What would you do now?

They're coming back to install the hood backsplash and marble window sills next week, and caulk everything.
Fabricator says the seam material color can be change. What do I want them to do?

My beautiful countertop:

Here's the LEFT (of sink) seam. Yes, I know that the left slab is whiter than the right slab; I'm fine w/ that. See next pic of close-up.

Close-up (left seam):

The Right seam, while the veining is very good toward the front of the countertop/rear is not awesome, BUT I can live it w/ it. It's the seam material color that is no bueno.

Close-up (Right seam):

I think one of the problems is that the edges of the slabs are not clean and smooth (like the blade is dulled). See this sample piece: it's the right unpolished piece that will abut the butcherblock peninsula. See how the edges have tiny divots and crevices?
Is it that the fact that Danby Mountain White marble is more ?quartzy so it chips easier? So the edges are more prone to be less smooth?

Yes, they did use this tool:

I haven't found many pictures of white stone seams, just these 2 threads:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0715061425422.html
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg110714254246.html

So beautiful:

Thank you!
Amanda

Comments (15)