SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehs20815

seam on single-level countertop marble? WWYD?

ehs20815
13 years ago

I've been a lurker for years and am hoping for some advice. I have a 1928 Colonial. My cabinets are white painted, shaker style with full overlay and slab drawers. A little quirk of my layout is a 30" x 120" (yes, 2.5 feet by 10 feet) island. The island is for eating (seating for 3) and prep as I otherwise don't have much counter space. I frequently host cooking parties (not professionally, just socially) and love the expanse of workspace to allow many to cook/prep. The kitchen is 13' x 22', and doesn't have a ton of light since it's on the ground floor of a city home (neighbors houses 8 feet away block light).

I had my heart set on white cararra counters. I'm fine with patina and think it would work with my house and style. Unfortunately, I've learned that none of the yards in my area (metro DC) have cararra (or statuary, or calacatta) in slabs that would allow my 120" island to be done in a single piece--everyone I've spoken to is telling me that my dream cararra island would have to have a seam.

What do you all think? The idea of a seam freaks me out, but wonder if others experienced this problem and found a workaround? I don't want to spend all this money and have it look terrible.

FWIW, my back-up plan is a honed charcoal gray-green granite (my fabricator calls it Ocean Antique), which conveniently has 129" slabs that would allow the island to be a single piece.

WWYD? Cararra with a seam, or dark honed surface without a seam?

Comments (6)