SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

KAW- getting to the root and more !

11 years ago

I had butternut squash, turnip. beets, apples ,red bell peppers and carrots. The weather was cloudy and cool. Seemed like a soup day to me.

I cut up and roasted the butternut, turnips, Rome apples and red bell peppers. They were tossed with EVOO and salt only. All were roasted on convection roast at 425. The squash took 50 minutes and the rest took 30 min. I split the vegetables in 1/2 and made 2 very distinctly different soups.

Soup 1 had sauteed celery.red onion and garlic...evoo and salt/pepper/coriander/thyme. 1 qt water added and simmered then used my Cuisinart stick blender to just take out the largest pieces and smooth it but not a puree. Juice of one lemon to brighten flavor right before serving, Garnish with grated aged cheddar.

Soup 2 had sauteed red onion , garlic and a roma tomato. Homemade curry powder and salt. Coconut milk, apple juice and water. Simmer and brighten taste before serving with juice of one lime. Garnish with yogurt and cilantro.

The beets and carrots are raw. I had seen a lovely dressing on here somewhere in the past few days and didn't copy it down :( If you remember who it was ..maybe breezy..please cut and paste here for me. DH made a great one with EVOO and OJ and grated peel and balsamic vinegar and a touch of mustard. Served with toasted almonds and feta on a bed of spinach and arugala.

I made a slide show for fun. I just thought it was interesting to make so many vegetables and then go in two completely different directions with the final dish. Oh the curry powder is Alton Brown's recipe. It is simply wonderful and I haven't bought curry powder in years since I started making his . Hope you enjoy !! c

sneak peek !!

beet slaw:

roasted peppers/apples/turnips

Here is a link that might be useful: Getting to the root !

Comments (14)