SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

KAW..when life gives you lemons...

User
10 years ago

I make preserved lemons !! There is a man in Mobile who brings his gorgeous Meyer lemons up here to my little farmer's market to sell. Last year I made one pint jar of preserved lemons and 4 qts of lemon curd. I bought a bag this AM and plan on getting a huge basket of them after Thanksgiving as I don't have any more time today. But I had to share these great pics :) Wash and stem and cut in 1/8ths if they are huge like mine are. Layer in a sterilized qt jar ( note I doubled the size this year ! ) Use the salt/juice mix from last year and add more as needed. Press down firmly and add enough juice from some squeezed Meyer lemons to cover. Rotate jar several times and press down some more. Leave at room temp for 4-7 days and rotate daily. Keep in dark place. Refrigerate after the week is up. Longer you keep them the better they get. To use remove from jar and throw away pulp . Wash lightly to rinse off excess salt and mince. Add to anything that needs lemon. Below are pics.

The pasta dish DH made is from our son's repertoire. Shrimp and homemade fettuccine with capers and preserved lemon and white wine and one hot chili and minced onion and garlic and salt/pepper . Thicken sauce with a touch of cornstarch. Hm..I think that is all he puts in. Oh garnish with cilantro and a slice of homemade sourdough bread. Hope you enjoy and if you have any questions let me know. Oh and the lemons you squeeze should be zested first as you are going to need the zest for the lemon curd. I will take pics of that next week when I make it . c

This post was edited by trailrunner on Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 20:28

Comments (29)