SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettycbowen

keeping my 50's upper cabinets

bettycbowen
16 years ago

OK, a week or so ago I told either this board or decorating that I had decided to keep the 1950's upper kitchen cabinets my dad built, and will have mis-matched lower cabinets. Good news is that I visited a local custom cabinet shop that does very fine work and will be able to build whatever I want. They rattled off a list of local names of people they've recently built for who either a.) could buy anything they ever wanted (this is oil country, so I mean that), and/or b.) are people I have loved and respected all my life. Don't need any more references than that.

This is my first attempt at posting pics. The first one is the cabinet door that, as we were demolishing the others, I realized - wait, I love this door. There is a VERY cool curved class towel bar that goes underneath that is in safekeeping.

And this one is just the rest of the kitchen. We tore down the upper cabinets that were over the range top.

There will be fairly medium-to-dark hardwood floors, and the counters against that far wall will be cherry butcher block. That's the baking/storing side. I want to put soapstone on the peninsula/range top/bar, and probably around the sink. I have purchased a Price Pfister faucet but haven't chosen a sink. I'm open to re-staining the cabinets if necessary.

I will mosaic the backsplash myself, with a green/blue palette (with touches of silver and copper), in a combination of smalti & other glass tiles I purchased in Italy (Ravenna and on Murano) and Mexican smalti, and some others, as well as a plainer field tile. (Yes, I will stop lurking and be a regular on the mosaic board)

So, I'm doing brushed nickel finishes for the hardware, and am thinking off-white lower cabinets?????? I'll probably get a white dishwasher and new white built-in oven. I'll paint the big wall-o-closets whatever color the lower cabinets are. The fridge is pretty new, and I plan to live here for the rest of my life, so I'm not worried about resale. My inheriting nephews will just have to deal with it.

I'm fine with the whole mid-century look, I don't want to try to make my 50's ranch into a cottage or Tuscan Villa, but I do want it to be warm and friendly.

opinions, advice welcome!

Comments (7)