SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renov8r_gw

choosing a general contractor

renov8r
10 years ago

We got a quote from a general contractor, who we have used extensively over the years, for our kitchen renovation. It is a total gut type reno involving moving a load bearing wall. He has arranged for a feasability study by an architectural engineer for the change in the wall. GC 1's quote was very high and he charges 15% of the total cost of the renovation.
My husband wanted a second quote and we are now looking into a second contractor who uses the payment of work plus materials. As yet we have not received his quote.
I am feeling very uneasy about this second gc, since the first one is a person we meet in our town occasionally on a social basis. Ethically I prefer to go with his quote tweaking what we will do immediately so that it is in our budget. We will probably leave out the island at this time, and use a cheaper counter top, if we go with gc number 1.
Should I feel guilty if we choose the second quote? I don't want to create bad vibes between us. Both have taken considerable time putting these quotes together.

Comments (17)