SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whiteryder

Need backsplash ideas for kitchen reno

whiteryder
16 years ago

I am very very close to signing the paperwork to get my kitchen renovation going AT LAST (been talking to the designer since May). I'm a little concerned about the color scheme. I like each of the colors I've chosen but I think it needs something to pull them all together. I'd like to do that with a backsplash if I can.

The cabinets are Quality Cabinets Butterscotch with Mocha glaze, it's a light brown with a slight touch of red to it (depending on the lighting), and the glaze adds thin dark brown highlights. I chose the Edinburgh style which has an arch at the top of the upper cab doors. These cabinets are pretty eye-catching, so I chose flooring and counters that would let the cabinets stand out (rather than competing with them for interest).

The floor will be Stainmaster vinyl sheet, either S2045 or S3052, which are both stone-look with a range of beige tones. The appliances are stainless steel and black. The counter will be Wilsonart laminate, in Rustic Slate which is a dark grey mottled with areas of darker grey and very dark brown - think dark slate with rusty highlights.

So - we have light-mid brown cabinets, light brown floor, and dark appliances and counter. What on earth can I do in a backsplash that will bring it all together? Keeping in mind that I'm near the end of my budget so I can't really splurge on materials. :P

The default plan is to make a laminate backsplash (separate piece, not coved) but I feel like that would say "laminate" too loudly. So I came up with the idea of doing a tile/stone backsplash instead to liven things up.

I'm going for an earthy, rustic look (besides the stainless steel ;). So tumbled stone is one style I'm considering, but what color(s) would work here? Or have I laminated myself into a corner? Maybe I could just choose a good paint color and that would be enough.

I'm new to the forum so if I haven't given enough information please let me know.

Thanks!

b.

Comments (2)