SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Please show me your upper cabinets stacked up to the ceiling!

artemis78
14 years ago

We have 9' ceilings in an older home, and are hoping to run our cabinetry up to the ceiling with a couple of inches of crown moulding at the top to try to match the character of the house a little better. I'm having a hard time figuring out how cabinets should be stacked as far as sizes, though. Back in the day these would have been inset framed cabinets built into the wall, but we're trying to accomplish the same look with frameless standard-sized boxes (with painted shaker doors).

We have three spaces that are all side by side: one is a baking counter with upper cabinets that start 50" up off the floor; the next is the fridge cabinet, where the over-fridge cabinets start 72" off the floor; and the last is a broom closet that runs floor to ceiling.

How would you break up stacked cabinets in a situation like this to make it look "right" to the eye, but not have any doors that are too small or large? (I know we won't be able to reach the top cabinets if we stack them, but that's okay; we'd use them for long-term storage with a ladder.)

I'd love to see photos of how others have done this---poked around in the FKB area but had a hard time sifting through to find examples of this.

Thanks!!

Comment (1)