SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Overkill to buy both a Vitamix and a food processor?

kaysd
12 years ago

I recently started looking for a larger and more powerful food processor to make baby food. My MIL raves about her 16 cup Cuisinart from Williams Sonoma, so I went to the website to have a look. I also looked at the Vitamix. WS is having a sale through Sunday where you get 10-30% off your order depending on how much you spend. I am tempted to buy both the Vitamix and Cuisinart (either 12 or 16 cup) since I could get them for 30% off if I buy both. I wonder if it is silly to buy both since there seems to be partial, although not complete, overlap in machine capabilities. Either would be fine for making baby food.

The Vitamix would make great smoothies and frozen cocktails. I don't make many of those anymore, but maybe I would do it more often (especially smoothies) if I were not constrained by my current underpowered blender. The Vitamix makes ice cream, but I have an ice cream machine we received as a wedding gift. I like the idea of grinding my own grains and making nut butters, but I am not sure I would ever really do that. Part of my thinks I should get the dry container if I buy the Vitamix since it would be 30% off if bought together, but I just don't know if I would use it. (DH rolled his eyes when I said we could grind rice to make our own rice cereal for the baby rather than buying it.)

The one thing I know the food processor does that the Vitamix does not is slice food. I do not know if that is enough to justify a separate machine. I have always just used a knife, but the food processor could come in handy for larger batches. I am sure I could make pesto, salsa, hummus, etc. in either machine, but does the food processor do it better?

I would love to hear from owners whether you think it is worth the extra cost and storage space to have both a Vitamix or similar blender and a food processor. There may be differences I am not thinking of that make it worth having both, so feel free to enable me. ;)

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022