SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beemer_gw

Help me balance frugality and dreams...

Beemer
14 years ago

I know this is long, but I would like your opinions on which remodeling option you would choose.

We will be moving into our lake home full time late next year. All remodeling done now is on a cash basis.

Currently we have a 9 X 9.5 ft kitchen that is an "L" shape layout. It was built with secondhand, very plain, custom built, painted wood cabinets from the 50's (can't be taken apart individually). The kitchen appliances are not where they should ideally be for smooth flow and best visual design. If they are moved around, we could get about six more running feet of lower cabinets by making the kitchen a "J" shape. The kitchen has 10 high ft walls with a cathedral knotty pine ceiling.

However, we don't have the money to replace all the cabinetry (which would be necessary if we moved appliances around). We currently can not afford all the maple cabinets we want and the quartz countertops until we pay off the house (10 years). At that time, with the moving of cabinetry, wed also have to replace any flooring we put in now. We will be doing most of the work ourselves.

I also have dreams of someday owning an induction top stove (speed of heating and safety) and a convection oven (I do lots of baking).

Currently:

Cabinets are painted red with white doors. (ugh)

White tile counter tops with red grout (double ugh).

White Stove (oven on the fritz, coils donÂt sit level)

White fridge (2 years old, good shape)

No range hood, and microwave is in a cupboard.

Water damaged laminate floors over concrete.

No dishwasher (have a new white one in box)

Rusty sink (have Franke black granite one in box)

Here are my options:

The Frugal makeoverÂtemporary measures until we install dream kitchen in 10 years.

Keep white fridge

Buy white basic smooth top electric stove -$500

Install white microwave range hood - $300

Install white dishwasher

Install black tile countertop (tiles are on-hand) (to replace the old one we have to tear up to get the dishwasher in)

Install black granite sink (new in box)

Paint cabinets deep brick red. $100

Install ceramic or porcelain floors with radiant heat in current floor plan configuration.

(This is a set cost no matter what option we choose)

Pros:

We can have a "new kitchen" for about $1000.00 (minus the flooring)

The kitchen would be red cabinets, white appliances, and black counters/sink.

We retain all our current white appliances.

We get the range hood, dishwasher and extra cupboard space by moving the microwave.

Cons:

Will not have an induction cook top for 10 years(no free standing stoves in white yet only Stainless which means IÂd have to switch out all the other appliances).

Mid-range makeover:

Keep white fridge

Buy white under counter convection oven - $1200.00

Install white microwave range hood - $300

Install white dishwasher

Install black induction cook top - $1700.00

Pros:

We can have a "new kitchen" for about $3000.00 (minus the flooring)

IÂd have induction cooking and convection cooking now, and the induction cook top could be used in "dream kitchen" later.

The kitchen would be red cabinets, white appliances, and black counters/sink.

We get the range hood, extra cupboard space by moving the microwave.

Cons:

WeÂd be spending 3 times as much as the "frugal" makeover, and weÂd be throwing out all the white appliances ($3000.00 current value) when we "dream kitchen" it later.

High-end makeover:

Buy SS fridge - $1500.00

Buy SS dishwasher - $500.00

Buy SS free standing induction stove/convection oven $2700.00 w/warming drawer

Buy SS microwave/hood - $600.00

Install black tile countertop (tiles are on-hand) (to replace the one we have to tear out to get the dishwasher in)

Install black granite sink (new in box)

Paint cabinets deep brick red - $100

Install ceramic or porcelain floors with radiant heat in current floor plan configuration.

Pros:

We can have a very modern kitchen for about $7000.00 (minus the flooring)

It would be a beautiful red, black, stainless kitchen

IÂd have induction cooking and convection cooking now.

All the appliances can be used when we get maple cabinets in 10 years.

We get the range hood, extra cupboard space by moving the microwave.

Cons:

WeÂd be spending $6000.00 more than the "frugal" makeover.

WeÂd be chucking the new white dishwasher.

IÂd be paying a higher price for SS and induction appliances than I would in the future because they are coming down in price.

Can you think of other options? IÂm a frugal person, so I really want to justify any upgrades.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!