SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Hardware for a stranded door....horizontal handle? Vertical?

artemis78
13 years ago

We have one solitary door in our kitchen layout (okay, more doors in reality but one true "door" that is functioning like a door) and I'm really stuck on what kind of hardware to use for it.

Has anyone encountered this, and if so, what did you do? Pics? Here's our situation:

- Half of our kitchen (on a separate wall) is flush inset cabinetry, and those doors are on the uppers and all getting latches, so they're set.

- The other half of our kitchen is frameless cabinetry, so can't use latches since there's no frame or paired door to attach the other side to.

- We have three physical doors: two on the sink cabinet, and one right next to it on a blind corner unit. Here's the catch: one sink door and the blind corner unit are actually pullouts, though they look like doors. This leaves just one actual door, sandwiched in between the two (and half of the sink cabinet).

DH is a believer in function over form, and in general I agree. We both want the pullouts to have centered horizontal handles.

But...what do we do with that last door? Function says we put the handle on it vertically, and I would be okay with this if there were another door in the kitchen, and if it weren't half of a paired set. But I'm worried it's just going to look strange if it's the only door in the whole kitchen done this way! That leaves centering it horizontally like the pullout handles, but that's strange for opening it.

Is there another solution I'm missing? Anyone do this one way or another and like/dislike your decision? Thanks!

Comments (6)