SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

FR/kitchen update and knob position question (lots of pics)

Cloud Swift
12 years ago

The knob question may be slightly off topic because it is for our family room cabinet doors, but the situation is similar to some tall pantry cabinets.

For those who haven't read or don't remember my earlier posts, we redid our kitchen 5 years ago except for the floors because we planned to do them in a second phase along with renovating the family room. We are now almost done with that second phase which included replacing the large space-hogging faux stone hearth with an EPA 2 fireplace and having cabinets made for that wall as well as a new hardwood floor for the kitchen, family room and breakfast room.

Before with a cardboard mock up of the new fireplace next to the old hearth:

After (still with the old couch and chair - we will probably wait until the grandkids get a little older before we replace those):

Floor: natural maple Mirage pre-finished hardwood

Fireplace: Lennox Villa Vista EPA II

Fireplace surround: Azul do Mar quartzite (from our kitchen remnants)

Fireplace hearth: Shanxi black "granite" (probably a basalt)

Mantle: natural cherry

Cabinets: custom made, natural cherry, mitered with raised panels or speaker cloth panels. Natural walnut knobs

The cabinets are free standing, finished on the sides. The tall one to the left of the TV has a pull out rotating (to make it easy to attach cables) component rack. The center speaker is behind the speaker cloth panel under the TV and the left and right speakers are in the end cabinets behind the cloth.

The last thing is to install the knobs. My DH has been diligently turning knobs for them and we are almost ready for install. The main question is where to put them on the middle doors of the tall units. We are looking at three positions - centered between the top and bottom of the door, one third of door height from the bottom or near the bottom like on the top doors.

Here are pictures of each possibility. The "knobs" are circles of paper printed with wood grain to make it easy to move them around and test the looks. The real knobs are sitting on top of the mantle in the picture above.

Centered:

Lower third:

Bottom:

Position on the top doors and the bottom doors is more obvious though I wonder if we should put them centered on the line between the rail and panel instead. My DH likes the spot where they are in the pictures.

Comments (14)