SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Best drawer size?

mrspete
11 years ago

Everyone here seems to be in agreement on one subject: Drawers are the best kitchen cabinet option. I'm completely sold on the concept, but I could use some specifics:

Question 1:

What is the best drawer size? I'm sure that small drawers aren't as efficient, what with a greater proportion of the materials being used up in sides and between-drawer wood. And I worry that it'd be easy to overload (and then break) an extra-large drawer. So, my question is, Where's the sweet spot? The drawer that's just the perfect size?

I'm thinking I'll have the following:

One stack of 24" drawers
Three stacks of 30" drawers
One stack of 36" drawers
One 12" traditional cabinet, for cookie sheets and drying racks

So, I'll have an abundance of 30" drawers -- if I leave my plans as they stand now. I like the layout, so I'm hoping that 30" is an effective size.

Question 2:

What depth of drawer is best? I'm thinking that -- for looks -- the stacks should all be the same. I'm thinking that I want the bottom drawer to be good and deep; that way, in the island it could hold large pots, and next to the stove it'd be tall enough for bottles of cooking oils. And I'm thinking that the top drawer should be more shallow because it'll hold cooking utensils, etc. Am I on the right track here?

Question 3:

What are the magic words I want to speak when ordering drawers? I know that full-extension is in there, and possibly soft-close. And I know that i need to specify I want drawers that reach allll the way to the back of the cabinet rather than wasting space. I absolutely want to know that I'm getting good quality hardware that'll last.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)