SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Rollout shelves in inset cabinets/organizing broom closet?

artemis78
13 years ago

Trying to put together a final storage plan for our broom cabinet, and I'm wondering if we should use rollout shelves here or not. This cabinet is framed inset, so I'm cautious about losing the space---is the functionality worth it? Anyone have any experience/thoughts?

Our broom cabinet is 36" wide, 69" high, and 21" deep, flush inset face frame (so actual opening is only 33"). It will have a center panel, and on one side of the panel, a wide open space that will have a gizmo on the wall for hanging brooms and mops and a space on the floor for the canister vacuum to sit. We have an extra electrical outlet leftover from the old kitchen when a counter was there, so I'm thinking to cut a hole in the back of the cabinet so the stick vacuum can sit in here and charge, too.

I'm stuck on how to organize the other side of the panel, though. Traditional shelves would maximize the space, but there would still be a reach of 19" or so to the back of the cabinet. Rollout shelves would lose a couple of inches of storage on one side, but might give better access. This side of the cabinet will hold a mish-mash of gardening items, pet items, extra food waiting to be put into the food cabinet, etc. I want to compartmentalize each of these categories of items in some logical way...just not sure what that is. Drawers of some sort might be the ideal solution, but we wanted to keep the cabinet doors the same on the front...not sure "hidden" drawers that would tuck behind a cabinet door exist, or at least I don't think I've seen them?

Anyone have brilliant broom or pantry organizing solutions to share, or thoughts on a good approach here? Thanks!

Comments (3)