SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Granite failed stain test - what's next?

kellienoelle
12 years ago

I am in the beginning phases of planning my kitchen remodel. This weekend I skipped 37 steps and went directly to the fun part, looking at the gorgeous slabs of granite. Now, originally I was thinking quartz because I had heard that it is durable, easy maintenance, stain resistant, all the things that I liked. Then I heard that it can be quite expensive so I set my sights on granite. I am going with a darker stained cabinet so really wanted to offset that with a light, almost white, counter. Off I go and find a lovely lovely stone. It is called River White and has a mostly white background with some gray streaks that look like how sand settles along the banks of a river with flecks of cranberry. I love it! I get a sample! I bring it home! I pour stuff on it! After a couple of hours it is stained horribly, I mean HORRIBLY. So, I went back and read through old threads. I see that this can be mostly hopefully prevented with sealing and quite a few with mostly white granite have lived with it w/o any problems.

So this brings me to my questions, when I take my horribly stained sample back to the granite folks, what do I ask them? How do I know that they treat the granite to prevent this from happening to MY granite? I am not the type of person who will baby my countertops. Obviously I won't be deliberately pouring red wine on it and walking away, but it could happen, so I need to make sure that I consider this when making my selection. I know that white is obviously going to be more prone to staining, but I am not quite ready to give up the dream. Maybe I should add quartz back in the mix.

Thanks, you guys are the best.

Comments (13)