SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claude_007_gw

Can my quartz countertop be fixed?

Claude-007
10 years ago

Hello!
We had a quartz countertop installed. To our horror, we discovered that the contractor accidently damaged it and tried to repair it without telling us. There was a small chip (3/8 of an inch) that was glued back into place. We can see where the chip was repaired and we can feel it when we run our finger over the area. Furthermore, the original luster is gone on an area about 5" by 20" as if they tried to sand the countertop to remove the excess glue. We are furious because the contractor tried to hide this from us! We are dealing with 2 companies: the kitchen and bathroom cabinet manufacurer (who also sells us the countertops) and the contractor (who was recommended by the cabinet manufacturer).

Now my question: The cabinet maker tells us that he will have a professional come to our house and repair the countertop. He says that if we are not happy with the result, he will replace the countertop with a new one. Can such a repair be done so that nothing will be noticeable? Should I just say "No way! We want a new countertop!" Even if they do a decent repair, how can I be sure that it will last? How can I be sure that the finish will be as permanent as the part of the countertop that was not dammaged?

We are working with a highly reputable cabinet maker and we are paying big bucks.

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter.

Comments (5)