SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Tile installer wants to know: start in corner or center??

theresse
13 years ago

Hi peeps! :)

Ok so my tile installer sent a partner of his since he's sick. The guy seems fine so far - he's going to come back later and get started but meanwhile he asked me where I want him to start. Most of the comments on this forum lead me to believe one should always start in the center, behind the faucet, if it's a pretty typical layout in an old house (tall cabinets on either side of the sink, and windows behind the sink with a big vertical beam dividing the windows). But when he walked into my kitchen from the dining room, he assumed I'd want it started in the far corner, where he can lay out nice long pieces to wrap around the corner nicely.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to find out beforehand (without too much of a time-consuming hassle) if centering it behind the faucet will result in corners being awkward? It's honed white marble, 2x6" pieces and they'll fit tightly together with 1/16" between them.

2. If the one corner you see when you walk in looks really great, and the other corner you don't see at first, DOESN'T look identical (as great), would it be better to just start behind the faucet and have both corners look equally so-so?

Here's what you see when you walk in (the view he had). In this picture there's a coffee grinder in the corner in question but when the installer came by there was nothing in that corner. Typically there's some small countertop appliance there (or in the past, it's been a small white TV). As you may be able to see, our upper cabinets come down quite a bit lower than most. Thank you!

Comments (20)