SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmgard_gw

How Should We Update This Kitchen?

kmgard
10 years ago

Hey there! You guys helped me with a kitchen 4-5 years ago and it turned out beautifully, so I'm hoping you can help me again. Unfortunately this time around, we're stuck dealing with the existing cabinets instead of doing a full gut job. It just makes sense for our budget and the fact that we'll probably only be in this house a few years. For that same reason, we're going to keep the layout mostly as-is, with potentially some minor adjustments to the cabinets (which will get painted!!).

From the dining room doorway:

From next to the peninsula:

From the "eat-in" part, which is fairly useless unless we want to squeeze past a table to get from the hallway to the sunroom:

Further back:

Pivoting 180-degrees towards the sunroom:

General thoughts:

-Want to remove the soffits if there's nothing behind them. The problem? We have to keep the 2 tall pantries (there's one you can't see just to the right of the fridge) for storage because there isn't a separate walk-in pantry. I've thought about moving the one next to the desk to the left side of the fridge (which will be replaced) to make it look built-in, but that doesn't solve the problem that we can't raise the tall pantries to the ceiling. I'm considering raising the other wall cabinets and putting a shelf beneath like this. I'm also not sure about moving the second pantry because it's the dividing line between two different kinds of flooring, and continuing the hardwoods into the kitchen isn't in the budget.

-If we put any new cabinets in, it will be in the desk area. I'm thinking maybe a cool antique piece of furniture or maybe some IKEA drawer bases and glass wall cabinets for hutch-like storage. Thoughts?

-The cabinets above the peninsula (and those spindles!) are definitely coming down. We're getting a gas range and since it looks like the microwave vents through the roof, we'll get a peninsula hood as well. Should we somehow widen the peninsula so it makes a nice work space behind the stove and prevents splatters from going on to the floor? Would it be okay for that part to extend past the doorway into the sunroom?

Those are my general ideas for now. We've only been in the house a few days, but we've already ordered the fridge and range, and I'm anxious to get the kitchen done so we have time to enjoy it. It won't be as great (functionality-wise) as our last, but I think we have good basic bones to work with. I'd love to hear your ideas as well! (And remember, while the layout isn't super ideal, I'm thinking we don't really want to mess with it too much.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration Kitchen

Comments (32)