SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Update: Protecting my Counters

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

Had a cocktail party on Friday night, 24 neighbors, most of whom we have not met. It was for all the "newbies" on the street.

I did not use the vitafilm/saran wrap idea (although it was tempting), but I went to HD and bought a couple of large (36x48) sheets of plexiglass. Bought some of those almost flat clear bumpers, used them to secure the plexiglass to each other as well as to provide a way for the sheets not to slide.

People did not notice it was there!!! It was one big coaster. I used cutting boards on the ends of the plexiglass, this worked as a visual clue to not go past that point because that was "worker-only" space.

And an unforeseen benefit besides not fretting about people putting their glasses on the island...it prevented a wine glass from breaking! Yes, that's right. A woman knocked over her wine glass and it did not break. I would still be cleaning up glass pieces today if that had hit the stone.

Even my dh became a believer!

And I was sitting at the island yesterday morning, and I realized, it was making sitting there more pleasant--it was warm(er) than sitting with arms on the stone.

We are not leaving it on there (although it is tempting!), but I wanted to share.

~Bee

Comments (52)