SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Keeping the 70's/80 kitchen challenge questions

jterrilynn
12 years ago

Hi, Three questions!

1) Could someone tell me the technical term for these cabinets? It looks like a picture of wood on a sort of paper over mdf. They are 30 years old. I need to know what I'm dealing with.

2) Is there maybe a tinted wax or other that I could wipe on wipe off that would revive them to look better? Something hardy that wouldn't show finger prints? They are very dull.

These cabinets are in sons house and have to stay for awhile. Since there is not one wall or one casing or one anything that can just be painted without much prep in the entire house there is way too much to do to think of painting them. The kitchens storage within these cabinets is not functional so I really don't want to spend a lot of time on them. They are structurally sound though. I would be interested in ways to make them look better without painting or hardware costs.

3) Lighting - The only real money being put into the kitchen at this time is the removal of the tray ceiling odd framing and popcorn. We decided to just set the kitchen up for a future remodel (probably a few yrs). The ceiling will be done in a way to hide the upstairs plumbing with the center recessed. The dangerous illegal electric work done for florescent under cabinet lighting will be removed and not replaced for now. So, what sort of lighting would you put in the recessed area in the kitchens ceiling that would give off enough light and do you have pictures?

Any ideas?

$50 craigslist table, I'm refinishing the top & cleaning it up. It has drop sides of which one will be dropped and the table placed in the area shown below. I may put up a few shelves on wall above for colorful vintage flour and sugar containers. The a/c duct work ate the downstairs flooring budget. You can't tell how ugly the floor is in the picture as it doesn't show the rustic exposed edges that look like chips but it is not. The laminate countertop is dark green/black and gray. I'm thinking of painting the room BM Revere Pewter with an accent wall in BM Smoke Embers. The grays bring out the light gray in the floor as opposed to the baby poop beige part. Oh, and the big a$$ fridge does move back several inches but is out from the wall in picture.

Comments (4)