SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rj56

80's oak kitchen layout question

rj56
13 years ago

My 80's oak kitchen facelift is moving slowly due to spousal disagreements, I've been busy gardening, and indecision on my part. Here is a pic to refresh your memory. This is basically an L-shape. The stove wall is 10 feet, the sink wall is about 10 1/2 feet, but extends about 7 more feet into the breakfast area.

This is after removing the wallpaper, painting and adding new hardware

After much discussion/arguing, instead of just new countertop, flooring, fixtures, etc, we are pondering replacing the cabinets. My thoughts are, if my kitchen is going to be torn up, we may as well take out the soffitt and extend the cabinetry to the ceiling, and try to increase the counter space. To do that, I will probably have to part with my pie safe. If I do that and purchase a counterdepth fridge, I could move it where the pie safe is. This was where the fridge was when we bought the house. I would then be able to extend the countertop where the fridge currently is which would give me over 30 more inches of counter space. I'm concerned though, that there would be no counter directly beside the fridge, only the area by the stove which would be within arm's reach. Before I even begin thinking about new cabinets, I'd like some input as to if this change would be an improvement or, just a change. A cabinet salesman suggested putting the fridge and dishwasher on the wall where the stove is currently, then extending the counter around where the fridge currently is and put the stove out there-it would be like a little peninsula.

Comments (16)