SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

How to protect cabs on either side of hood vent?

texasgal47
11 years ago

My small kitchen just has the finishing touches left from a recent complete remodel. An OTR micro/vent was planned to go above a 30" induction cooktop but now want to do a proper hood vent. My concern is protecting the cabinets on either side of the hood. They are Kraftmaid, cream with a glaze, 42" high, spaced 30" apart on either side of the cooktop. I would have about 14" height exposed on each cabinet side below the hood. The backsplash is glass tile. This will be my retirement home so this is a long-term kitchen for me. I do cook a great deal, braise meats, soups, lots of blackened fish, no grilling or deep frying. Someone recently posted on one of these forums that her cabinet sides were ruined on either side over time, with the same set-up, due to moisture damage. I've read discussions regarding this issue but the responses seemed to offer no good solution once cabinets are in place. The following seems to be my options:
1. Cook mostly on the center hob on the cooktop. On my Bosch, it is 11" in diameter which limits my cooking to mostly large pans.
2. Have the installer cut matching veneer, for future use, to be glued over the exposed sides once they no longer look attractive from being cleaned so frequently over time.
3. Have stainless or aged copper cut to fit the sides in the future to cover the exposed cabinet sides. Then I would be concerned about moisture being trapped between the two surfaces and cabinet sides rotting. Surely many others have faced this problem. What has been your experience? Any recommendations?

Comments (7)