SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

a few random pendant light questions

worldmom
15 years ago

I'm wondering if any of you want to weigh in with island pendant light height recommendations. I plan to try the balloon trick and will make paper templates to help us, but one thing I'm not clear on is whether the bottom of the pendants should still be above head-level, even though there's no way to walk under them. Our island will be 4x7, and I'll either do two larger pendants or three smaller ones. These are roughly what I'm planning to order (same shade, slightly different fixture): http://www.schoolhouseelectric.com/fixtures-detail.asp?FixtureID=88

Also, I'm trying to decide whether to order our pendants in polished nickel or ORB. Our white painted maple perimeter cabinets will have polished nickel knobs and pulls, but I'm thinking of putting ORB bin pulls on our oak island. I think the darker finish might be prettier, while the nickel might be more classic. I'm not sure whether those finishes say the same thing to others, or if I can even choose which feel I like more. Any thoughts?

And how important is it to have dimming pendants? I've never had this option before, and I'm trying to decide if I would really find it useful to have dimmer switches. We're installing all push-button switches, and the 3-ways and dimmers are quite pricey, so I want to be sure the dimming function is worth the cost.

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!