SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
california_dreamer

Soapstone Edge finishing problem- what to do?

california_dreamer
16 years ago

Yesterday I picked out beautiful slabs of soapstone to use in my kitchen. I was euphoric to have finally made my decision.

Today my contractor burst my bubble when he explained that there is a problem using the 3cm stone with my cabinets.

He said if they put the soapstone on top of the plywood the plywood will show. Apparently they built the cabinets with the assumption that I'd be using 2cm countertops and it is too late to change the way the plywood sits on top of the cabinet.

So now I have a couple options:

-Abandon the soapstone and go with my second choice, New Cambrian Black Leather finish (which is half the price)

-Go with the soapstone but have them laminate another strip of stone under the edge to hide the plywood. This would make the edge about 1/4" thicker than normal plus it will have a seam all the way across the edge where the pieces are glued together

-Go with soapstone and have them put a piece of molding under it to hide the plywood (I think this would look strange on my simple shaker style cabinets)

-Go with 2cm Pietra Cardosa (which the stone yard salesperson insists is "Italian" soapstone). I like the look of this but haven't been able to test a sample so I am not sure how durable it is.

I'm at a loss! My cabinets are in and they are waiting on me to make a final decision on the countertops. I am so frustrated but I am having major second thoughts about the soapstone now that I cannot get the regular edge finishing I wanted.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (34)