SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

A Fleur-De-Lis In The Kitchen Floor - How?

John Liu
13 years ago

SWMBO has fetishes. The ones we talk about include copper, espresso, and fleur-de-lis..

I was thinking, how could I include a fleur-de-lis motif in a kitchen? Cabinet pulls and wall stencils would be easy enough . . .

Then I was reminded of a fantastical mosaic floor that some friends put in their apartment. Starting at the base of the iron spiral staircase leading to the bedrooms, the mosaic pattern swirls, fragments, and reforms as it curls through the dining area to the kitchen.

I can't hope to do anything that intense - they hired a ceramic artist. Still, I wanted to think about the idea of a fleur-de-lis floor design.

What are some ways you could incorporate a fleur-de-lis, or other graphical design, in a kitchen floor?

Someone suggested cutting the design from marmoleum and filling the cut-out with marmoleum of a contrasting color. Has anyone done that? Is it feasible and durable?

Another suggestion was to make the floor from white 1'' hexagonal tile, with the design rendered in black hex tile. Is hex tile a practical kitchen floor surface? I love the way it looks. Not sure I'd love all that grout, but suppose the grout were charcoal gray or black? Would that be a maintenance nightmare? Is it too much like ASCII art - cute, but just a stunt?

I also thought about having the design inlaid into a wood floor. A dark wood fleur-de-lis inlay on a light wood background. Has anyone done, or seen, such a kitchen floor?

Any thoughts on these approaches, or other ways to get a large central stylized iris in a kitchen floor? Or a frog, or a towel pig, whatever strikes the fancy?

Comments (27)