SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
earlygirl44

posting these pictures was harder than the reno!

earlygirl44
15 years ago

Behold.... My new kitchen! I knew when I was duct tapping the drawers back together that I had had enough!

We tried to keep it to 25,000 plus appliances (which for micro, range, fridge, DW, & compactor Jenn Air came to 5500) we came in about 3,000 over. The lighting was an expense that I had not really thought enough about and we added a lot more than my contractor allowed for but was really needed

We went through Home Depot for the cabinets and the granite. HD was great, but like all things in life you really have to know what you want and follow up on each detail. We went to about three KD's and used all the ideas we liked and then put it all together at Home Depot.

The design inspiration was the state park that we walk the dogs in. I wanted the elements of my kitchen to remind me of the natural beauty of the woods, further I wanted the feeling of the kitchen to "blend" with the view out to the woods.

A final thought - you'll see pictures at the end of the slide show that show the insides of my pantry cabinet. When I first found this web site I posted a thread as to how people store their big bags of dog food.

This was my solution: we took out one of the roll outs and put it in the upper cabinet (which by the way was shipped with no shelf- so now we can get to stuff in the back of that cabinet. I bought a container with a flip up lid to store the dog food and snacks - yes it does take up storage - but when you have, and love, a big dog you gotta deal with their stuff !

Some other things I learned

Plan to be on site as much as possible

If you want your micro to be flush with your cabinets you either need a small micro or it needs its own cabinet

We did integrated cabinet panels for the DW and compactor and so we put our hardware on them - In a moment of inspiration I had my wonderful contractor hang the handle that came with the DW as a towel rack that hangs out of view of the rest of the kitchen

We went with Instant Hot which I love and water on the door for the fridge - those French doors were tempting but chilled, filtered water on demand is a pleasure .We kept the old fridge in the basement for Costco shopping

And yes I got myself a never MT!!!

Ps. The job took 4 weeks  demo to door knobs !

Comments (12)