SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Mini reveal for low budget DIY kitchen remodel

bob_cville
10 years ago

We have a rental duplex that needed some work after the last tenant moved out. After starting the work we discovered that a drain pipe had been leaking for some time, and had soaked, delaminated, and rotted the subfloor in the kitchen.

Here's a couple of pictures after the demo of the damage.

Old Kitchen:

Old Dining Room

It's not quite done, but it is awfully close, and almost completely DIY , including the plumbing the new cork floor, the cabinets, and the tan brown granite counters.

Used Range $125
Used range vent fan $20
Used Dishwasher $50
Used Cabinets Free
New cork floor $500
Granite from craigslist $400
Cash and carry fabrication of granite $450
New sink and faucet $180
New track, Used track lights $40
Pull-out spice rack $80
PVC wine rack $8
Used Exterior Door $55

Panorama of the new Kitchen

One of the biggest difficulties was figuring out a layout using the cabinets that a friend had previously removed from their kitchen. Since there were only a certain set of cabinet sizes to choose from, it was challenging to come up with a workable layout for the small space.

The blind corner cabinet to the right of the sink was modified from a standard 36" base cabinet using the door from a 15" upper cabinet.

The deep cabinet over the fridge was a base cabinet that was cut down in height.

And the pull out spice cabinet was installed simply to fill the space. One 30" upper ( or even two 15" uppers) would have worked better, but I only had two 12" uppers, so I put a 6" filler pullout between them.

New spice cabinet pulled out, the door on it was a 36" drawer front.

There wasn't enough big enough granite pieces so the counter to the left of the stove had to have a seam

The sink was supposed to have been a top mount sink, but due to a miss-communication with the granite fabricator, the hole was cut (and polished) as if it was an undermount sink.and rather than have them re-cut it I mounted the sink as an undermount.

New Dining Room:

This post was edited by bob_cville on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 23:20

Comments (25)