SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

One too many floor surfaces?

12 years ago

I am seeking opinions on the floor treatment for the small hallway just outside my kitchen. The area in question is about a 3' x 4' section where the door swing to the powder room is indicated below:

This hallway and the original kitchen had pine floors. When I tore out the kitchen, I was not able to save the pine in the kitchen, but I was able to save it in this hallway. It was covered by an underlayment glued down with water-soluble glue (thank goodness!). Today, I just got done soaking, sanding, and scraping it. (The part on the right is wet, the part on the left is dry):

(Don't you just adore the lovely sheet vinyl on the stairs? That used to cover the hallway in question and the kitchen.)

I like the pine well enough, but I am worried that there are too many floor surfaces in propinquity. The kitchen will be red and white travertine, and the living room has red oak:

In addition, the powder room has a small-tile, black and white floor:

(Although the powder-room door is generally closed.)

Seems to me the choices for the hallway are:

A) Keep the pine. (Probably stain to try to match the red oak.)

B) Tear out the pine and replace with red oak.

C) Tear out the pine and extend the travertine kitchen floor there.

D) (least likely) Extend the black and white 8" square tile that is in the basement and the main basement stairs up to the landing by the door, then up the small stairs to the hallway in question.

E) Use a brilliant suggestion from GW.

I am not yet sure what I will do with the stairs now covered by the vinyl. Probably try to return them to wood, unless I use option D.

Any thoughts on what might go best here?

Thanks, A_D

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County