SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane_o

layout emergency - I need advice

jane-o
16 years ago

We're supposed to be winding up picking finishes, having finalized the floor plan months ago, but today I suddenly wondered if we've made a fixable big mistake, and that we should fix it. I suspect I'll get pushback from our KD, and possibly from DH, who just wants this to be finished, so I'm hoping I could get some opinions here. Here's the plan:

At the moment, the floor plan is pretty similar, except there's no peninsula - the kitchen ends a few feet left of the range, and doesn't go around the corner. There's a 50" x 27" table in the middle of the kitchen, which I use for food preparation and which our family of 4 eats around twice a day. (We have a dining room, but don't use it much.)

Now, the kitchen isn't really big enough for a table in the middle right now, and it's awkward for me to be walking around doing things while people are sitting at the table, I'm always asking people to move in so I can get past. So the peninsula looks like a big improvement: still a convenient workspace, but less in the way, and the kids will be sitting away from the hubbub of the kitchen.

But here's the problem: today I was sitting having tea with a friend while our kids played, and we were sitting across from each other at the table, and it was really comfortable and pleasant, and I was realizing that in the new kitchen I won't be able to sit across from someone as pleasantly as that. So what I think I'd like to do is turn the peninsula into a rectangle (instead of a semicircle), and take away all the cabinets below it (putting in support posts or some such instead), so that people can sit across from each other. It'll mean giving up some cabinet space, and we'd need to move the trash pull out someplace else (maybe to the left of the sink?), but eating as a family, and sitting and having tea with a friend or my husband (or for that matter playing board games with my kids) will be a lot more pleasant, so it'll be well worth it. We've got a large pantry, so I think we won't miss the cabinet space that much. Does this sound crazy or sensible?

thanks for any thoughts!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer