SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
criticalmass048

Need advice on tub refinishing kits

criticalmass048
13 years ago

Five years ago, we decided to re-finish our old tub. I bought a kit that had me sand down the whole tub, clean it, mix two jars (I think paint + epoxy), then apply with a roller. It required 7 days to cure. A few months later, it started to peel underneath the rubber mat. A phone call to customer service taught me that they don't recommend rubber bath mats with suction cups. I pointed out that this wasn't mentioned in the instructions, and they offered to send me a new kit, and I said I didn't care about the money, I was just upset with all the wasted labor and the long waiting time. Eventually, the coating on the whole floor of the tub had peeled away, and we left it that way.

Last month, we decided to try again with a different product. I got an aerosol kit by Homax. This required longer prep, but shorter curing time. After using steel wool & TSP solution three times (and carefully following the instructions because I didn't want to do this again), I applied a light first coat as instructed, and a heavier second coat. I still had another whole can of aerosol left over, but the instructions said "a third coat is not recommended". I then waited 4 days instead of the recommended 3 days.

Tuesday, I noticed the finish was starting to peel again, and this time there was no bath mat.

I sent an email to the company, and they got back quickly saying that an average tub should use two cans, and if I had a whole can left over I definitely didn't apply it heavily enough, so if I wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol (I was told NOT to use TSP solution on the paint) I should be able to reapply the remaining paint. Since we had no special plans for Thanksgiving, I did that today while the wife cooked. I just kept spraying and spraying until the whole can was gone. Now we have to wait three days again.

Of course, I can't shake the feeling that this isn't going to turn out well. I'm checking around to see if there's any ideas besides these two, or maybe I should stick with them. A new tub is out, and we really don't want to get one of those custom-made shells to go over the tub, since I have a funny feeling a lot of work I did with the tub and surrounding area would have to be undone (long story).

Thanks, and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor