SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Island Family Seating/Help with Kitchen & DR Layout 1950 Cape

2LittleFishies
12 years ago

We are renovating and adding 7 feet to the back of our 1950 Cape (1st floor only). Any thoughts as to an island configuration where the 4 of us can eat as a family without being in a straight line? Will what I have below work with 2 on the long end and 2 at the short end. Our kids will be 6 and 4 by the time the kitchen is finished. The island is shown as 4' wide but we can probably add a few inches. (It's actually 51" not 48" in that aisle. I SO wanted to work a banquette or breakfast nook into our plans but there's just no room for 3 eating spots. The 2 stools on the short end could just be tucked under OR we could just move two of the backed stools to the end for meals.

What are your thoughts on the appliance placement? As well as the rest of the kitchen? The desk may just be a desk top without a space for a chair as many say no one uses the desk. I somehow feel I may use it but I'll keep thinking about that.

The dining room may end up being more casual b/c I think we will end up using that table for things. (We don't want it too casual b/c it is seen when entering the home and the living room so we want it to be nice.) Our table is not overly formal so we can probably do that. We have a custom cover on it and the seat bottoms are upholstered but some of you sent cover ideas. The DR cabinetry is not worked out yet on that 16' wall. It will probably be less deep and not cover the whole wall. Any thoughts on that? Also it messes up the window looking centered. Same with a chandelier. Should the window and chandelier be centered in the open space instead of centered in the room? The table is 5-8 feet long and 41" wide. The space from the island to the buffet (if it is 24" deep) is 12'

Below shows the changes being made. Dotted Lines are existing structure that will be removed. Bold lines are being added. We may forego that 3 foot wall being added between LR and DR. We are moving our stairs to line up with the stairs that go to the 2nd floor. The first floor consists of LR, DR, Kitchen, Full Bath and Master Bedroom. 2nd floor are 2 kids rooms, playroom, and a Full Bath. We are also finishing the basement.

Comments (25)