SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
owl_at_home

Frustrated. Need advice re. soapstone, BB

owl_at_home
16 years ago

I posted a few days ago regarding my countertop plans. Thanks for the great advice and comments! There's a link at the bottom to that original thread.

I tentatively decided to go with soapstone on the run with the sink and butcher block on the run next to the stove. Each one would be about 8 feet. I was feeling good about that, and then I got the price info from my fabricator: $23.50/square foot (raw price) for the soapstone, and a slab is about 45 sq ft. OK, I have no problem with the $23.50, but I cannot justify spending $1,000 for a slab when I only need a little over a third of it. The fabricators had indicated she might sell me something by the foot if she thought she could resell the rest of it, but she didn't seem interested in doing that with the soapstone. I might stretch it to half the slab if I used it for all the backsplash, but I'd have to scrap the BB altogether and go with all soapstone to come close to using the whole slab.

My original choice was the BB, but I didn't think I should use it around the sink. Now, I keep seeing it that way in magazines, and it looks great, and I'm thinking maybe it would be OK. All BB and scrap the soapstone.

Do any of you have BB around a sink and what are your experiences with that?

Also, has anyone ever tried selling part of their slab that they didn't need or even advertising in advance for someone to split a slab with you?

Here's a link to my original thread with pics and more info.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Owl's countertop thread

Comments (7)