SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corgimum

DIY Lessons Learned

corgimum
11 years ago

This thread is for all of the DIY or partial DIYer's out there. Our cabinets went in on Thursday and I've been thinking about what I've learned so far. Hopefully this will help anyone who is earlier in the process. If you have already done your kitchen, please list the things that you learned, too.

1) Do not paint until the floors are in. Installers are not careful. If you paint the kitchen, expect to do a lot of touch-ups. (I have to repaint the hall and part of the kitchen.)

2) Measure, measure and measure again and remember that the crown molding sticks out from the upper cabinets. (Learned when my recessed lights hit the crown in two places.)

3) Hire out for the things that you do not do well. (For us is was drywall and hardwood floors.)

4) Do not assume that hiring out for part of the work is not in your budget. Get 3 estimates and then decide.

5) DIY is not for the faint of heart. Not only do you have to make the decisions, you have to act upon them.

6) Most things will take longer than you think they will. (I have spent 2 days measuring and cutting shelf/drawer liners. I am still not done. Also, our floors were a 2 day job that turned into five when we found out they needed to be sanded first.)

7) The dust is never ending. (This goes for all remodels.)

Comments (30)