SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pasigal

Gut kitchen reno -- under $30k?

pasigal
16 years ago

Hello,

Apologies for what's going to be a longish post...

Just trying to get some feedback here...we moved into a prewar apt. in NYC this summer with an awful kitchen...basically hadn't been touched at all, so we're planning a gut reno as soon as we have the money. We have 2 kids in preschool so money's tight, and will be for the foreseeable future. However, we don't even have a usable oven or dw now, and there's basically no counter space.

So, my question: can we do a gut renovation for under $30k? The kitchen is approx 12' x 12', with a door from the dining room, a large window, and a door opposite the dining door into a maid's room.

Our rough calculations: new wood floor, $2k; electrical work to move outlets/add 2 junction boxes to ceiling/ensure code compliance $2,000; plumbing to accomodate a dw and re-plumb sink: $1,500; patching plaster, skim coat and paint, $2,500 = $8,000 for "infrastructure."

Appliances and fixtures: dw, $700; fridge, $1,500; range/hood $3,000 (our indulgence); sink and fittings, $1,000 (but could be less); microwave, $300 = $6,500

Cabinets/tiling: cabinets, probably go with Ikea, including cheap wood counters for now, $5,000 (this is the gray area); tiling between counter/cabs, $1,500 = $6,500

Misc., including light fixtures/area rugs = $1,000

Total w/out labor/contracting fee: $21,000. The remaining $9,000 for labor/design services/contractor.

Is this even within the realm? I'm quite handy, and would love to find a contractor who I can work with to reduce costs; i.e. I can do the demo, handle the painting, deal with sources etc. We did a bathroom this way for under $10k.

Also, is there anything major I'm leaving out? We're definitely going to skimp on counters/tile.

Thanks for any input/advice, positive and negative.

Peter

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor